What do you do in the bad weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
What technique tips do you have for riding in an English winter?
English winter? London??
Just don't cycle for those 2 days when you get a dusting of snow, the wind rises above 10 mph, and the temp drops below 10C..
:rolleyes::laugh:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This cold snap was ok for cycling as it was so cold that the snow didn't melt and refreeze. Roads stayed dry. It's daytime melt and nighttime refreeze that's the main problem

Generally, stick to more major, treated roads with some traffic. Steer clear of minor lanes. Get togged up. Ride hard to keep warm. If cold, ride harder

shnjmsn

Über Member
I ride if it's cold or wet, or both. I don't ride if it's icy. Life is too short and I enjoy my cycling too much to have to spend moths off of it because I've been stupid enough to go out and break something ! If it's icy/snowy for a few days, I'll just go for a walk :-) And drink less beer........

And I don't ride in high winds either...... for the same reasons !

In SE you only miss a couple of days due to snow and ice. The risk can be considerable so if you dont feel like riding, just go for a walk in the park. I am much more risk averse than I used to be.
Spiked ice tyres enable you to ride safely on ice but dont help when you put your foot down. Your spiked tyres dont help other road users from skidding.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If there's frost or ice about I stick to gritted roads- I just take it steady...

I like riding or walking in the rain... + once you're wet it doesn't matter. I get as damp inside a Gortex jacket anyway so as long as I have a windproof layer I'm happy.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
-20C and 10 inches of snow here, so indoor trainer it is. If it gets to about 2 or 3C this weekend, I'll give it a go. Provided the snow and ice have melted. I may have to shovel some bits of the trail, or take to the roads.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Turbo trainer :ohmy:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ride later in the day if you can, around lunchtime / early afternoon. Stick to gritted roads and don’t be afraid to turn around if you find you’re not comfortable with conditions. Most councils publish maps of gritted roads on their websites.

You can get winter tyres such as Continental contact winter premium. For London possibly overkill. Instead fit some more robust puncture proof tyres with a 4 season compound so they retain grip as temps drop. Nothing worse than fixing punctures when it’s around zero.

Go off road. When it’s too icy / snowy on road it’s often fantastic conditions for a bit of mtn biking.

On the worst days go for a walk.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I admire you all weather cyclists. I won't go out in rain and definitely not in ice. Even then I wouldn't use my road bike in winter, even in the dry, as the roads are badly potholed round here and they don't make much effort to clear the leaves.

I think a lot of it comes down to having a bike you feel confident on. I simply don't feel happy on skinny tyres and a light bike unless the conditions are good. It just feels a lot harder to fall off a mtb to be honest.

Top Bottom