What do you eat on a long ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Before the ride - porridge with bananas and a bit of ham or cheese. Tinned mackerel or sardines are good, but that may be a very personal thing....

during the ride - bananas, cheese, ham, and, if it's a long ride, pasta for lunch or pork pies/cornish pasties/chocolate cake. Fruit cake is a bit 'quick release'.

I only ever drink water or really diluted ribena, but, if I stop, tea or coffee. Can't stand energy drinks.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Don't know if you have 'em in UK, but Ensure and, my preference, Boost "meal replacement" goes down well when the stomach isn't too happy.

240cal per 237ml bottle for the Boost. My fave flavour is Mocha.

postman

Legendary Member
Crikey we all like our food on here.
My input start with a large bowl of Reddy Brek.With a dolop of honey and chopped banana.Toast with honey.Cafe stop beans on toast.And i am partial to a latte.But my distances are only 40-45 during the week, and at best 65 on a Sat.A slow 65 at that.So on that ride i would try to find a pub with some form of Pasta bake dish.

ASC1951

Guru
Before I start - home made muesli, no dried fruit in it but lots of oatmeal and seeds.

On the ride - I stop after 50 miles for the cyclist's staple, beans on toast. I don't bother with nibbles.

To drink - water with a bit of garden mint stuffed in it. I don't like energy drinks, either. On a hot day I have 50-50 water and coke towards the end.

mr Mag00

rising member
for me a 60 miler will look like this

porridge in the morning,

on the ride usually a flapjack or 2

2 bottles of weaker energy drinks, 1 small bottle of water.

usually toward the end i get walkers s and v crisps by then i need a savoury boost

jimboalee

+1 Noodley.

Lasagne, Steak and kidney pies, Steak bakes.

Banana crushed in a sub roll.

Egg & beans on toast.

Dundee cake, Genoa cake or a Christmas pudding.

yello said:
...and the problem is what exactly? :evil:

You have to get another one?:angry:

mondobongo

Über Member
Weetabix or porridge followed by a couple of crumpets or rice cakes with nutella for breakfast with a coffee. Normally have a banana waiting for the off, tend to drink a Lucozade sport slightly diluted on the go piece of homemade flapjack if required.

Don't tend too have more than a teacake or slice of cake and a coffee at cafe stops.
If a big ride 70miles plus will take a few jelly babies for late on. I always have a couple of gels just in case I bonk.

Don't forget your chocolate milk for when you get home best recovery drink ever.

Tarbo

Another one here that takes a packet of Jelly Babies with me. Also take a couple of Flap Jacks and drink Lucozade Sport. On a 70 mile ride yesterday I went through 1.5 litres. Once again, Chocolate drink waiting for me in the fridge when I get home. (If my 5 year old daughter hasn't found it first :smile: ).

Noodley

Regarding drinks, I cannot stomach the energy drinks (maltodextrin mixes) and for years just used water which did not provide anything 'additional'. Recently I have started diluting pomegranate juice with water (50/50). Seems to work for me.

yenrod

I use pure orange juice in the small bottles you can get from petrol stations & easily digestable food.

And plenty of water xx(

jimboalee

About liquids, it's a balance between how much you breath out, how much you perspire and how much you want to wee; versus how much you drink.

1cm3 per every kCal is about right.

So if the ride demands 2400 kCals, as in a 100km AUK; the water intake should be 2400 cm3 to achieve a balance.
Or a can of coke per hour after a big coffee with breakfast.

No need for special prep energy drinks on a 100km.

Eat 2000 of the 2400 cals during the previous day, and have a 400 cal breakfast two hours before the ride.

A small snack half way round.

On summer 200s, I down a 500cm3 bidon of water on an hourly basis.

mr Mag00

rising member
thats all very prescriptive, surely it is finding what works for an individual.

my HRM tells in 100KM i burn 4000 Kcal so therefore i need 4 litres not and 2.4 litres. I sweat like a race horse when i ride so i do need an energy drink otherwise i find i am in terrible trouble a few hours later with cramps.

so as guide that is fine but only as a guide, not for every individual

Top Bottom