What do you eat on a long ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
jimboalee said:
About liquids......../......water on an hourly basis.

I thought just water intake had the effect of diluting electrolytes in the body - I've maxed at only 60 miles, so I'm not experienced at distance cycles, but i did dilute a Lucozade sport - they're too thick for me.

Love the sig...!:biggrin:

De Sisti

Veteran
jimboalee said:
On summer 200s, I down a 500cm3 bidon of water on an hourly basis.

How often would you stop to refill your bidons?

maander

jimboalee

mr Mag00 said:
thats all very prescriptive, surely it is finding what works for an individual.

my HRM tells in 100KM i burn 4000 Kcal so therefore i need 4 litres not and 2.4 litres. I sweat like a race horse when i ride so i do need an energy drink otherwise i find i am in terrible trouble a few hours later with cramps.

so as guide that is fine but only as a guide, not for every individual

It has been suggested, whether or not you wish to believe it, Commercial electronics calorie counters are grossly inacurate.
To say "My HRM tells me" is 'just a guide as much as my recommendations.

4000 kCals over a 100km suggests it was ridden naked in sub zero temperatures, but that was not the case - Surely? :smile:

You are 'sweating like a racehorse', maybe because you are 'overloading' in simple sugars ie HIGH GI stuff, and not much salt - hence the cramps.

Spend ten years researching human metabolism and then build a spreadsheet to predict your calorie and H2O requirements. Then you may find your results are close to the kCals numbers several universities and medical research studies say.
I have an SWorks, and if I type in the distance, direction, weather conditions, topography and clothing for a TdF stage, my results agree with what the Pro team medic's and nutritionalists get.

I rode 14 miles to work this morning, and for that effort I will be eating 170 kCals and drinking 300 cm3 water, which I have already done while typing this response.

jimboalee

I've entered the numbers to get 4000 cals in 100km circular ride on a calm and cold day. Naked, 0.55 m2 bare flesh exposed to full force of minus 1.0 Deg C air. I will let you wear your shoes, gloves and minimal shorts.

My guesstimate was fairly accurate. :smile:

mr Mag00

rising member
this is interesting.
I only use my HRM as a guide not as a scientific instrument, i am trying to lose weight and get fitter. but it seems to average out for me 1000Kcals an hour for reasonable HR.
I know the cramps come from salts or lack of, but is that not what electrolytes in sports drinks are for?
so where will i get my high GI food stuffs, as i am careful what i eat, i have always sweated when i exercise i am a very warm person generally.

so is there an easier way for a layman to work out how many calories i burn during a ride and what information would be needed, something i could get?

jimboalee

The good person at AUK says "8 kCals/min" to get through a Randonnee".

That's generally accepted as a 'fast tourist' pace of 17 mph in 15 Deg C air wearing shorts and road jersey. Following much e-mail debate during the nineties.

8 kCals/min comes to 480 kCals/ hour.

AUK and I are in agreement. ( mine is 7.78 kCals/min, but who's splitting hairs ). It's when 480 kCals is matched against 1000 kCals/hour I suspect there is something wrong with the 1000 kCals result.

A reasonable HR - 80% max - OK.

High GI stuff? That's the Glucose content of the Sports drink?

jimboalee

In the AUK handbook, in the 'Prep for a rando' chapter, it doesn't say much about nutrition.

It was a highly contraversial subject about fifteen years ago. The Doc at AUK said 8. I differed with 6 and we exchanged e-mails until I included some trims in my calcs.

One was "lifting the other leg". Do you lift it deliberately to assist motion, or rely on the downstroke to push it up? I had been tutored to use it for creating traction, but that was on the track, on a fixed wheel bike.

Old habits die hard.

BTW. Cycling the same distance uses close to the same calories whatever the speed - you just get there sooner if you sprint.

On a cold day, cycling slower can be more calorific ;)

I would recommend 500 kCals/hour for a Rando novice.

jimboalee

mr Mag00 said:
so this has no reference to how fit you are then?

No. You are moving a mass against gravity and air resistance.

"I cannee change the laws of physics, Cap'n".

"Fitness" will determine how fast you can do it and how many times you can do it. The required energy will be the same for the same number of repetitions in a certain time - or miles in an hour.

A less fit rider who can only cover 12 miles in an hour will require the energy to do that speed. Gravity is gravity, and air is air.

JonoB

Über Member
Beer and A large bar of Galaxy

Did a nice 30 mile ride a few weeks ago (at high speed of course). Stopped at a pub half way for a few bevvies. shoot. What a difference! .......and I always thought beer improved my performance. Blimey the missus is right (after all these years).
I used to play in a band - always thought I was great after a few.......
I also don't recommend eating a large bar of Galaxy as (in the words of my children) "It will make you fatter......and it's not healthy" Christ! What do they teach them at school these days???xx(

Tip brought to you from Scotland (the heart-attack centre of the world)

"Glasgow is already an Olympic Village, it's full of people wearing track suits who can barely speak English" Frankie Boyle 2008

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Normally... bowl of porridge +toast for brekky... take a banana or two and/or a bar. Longer rides... well, this weekend stopped at a caff and had beans and sausage on toast plus a big slice of cake. :sad:
Jelly babies in case the last few miles are proving difficult.

Top Bottom