What do you feed your dog(s) on and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
3 greyhound/lurchers all retired couch surfing rescues so not needing massive energy hits. Jolleys pet superstore stock RedMills resting greyhound kibble £15 a bag & that last them for a fortnight at least. They're happy, healthy, bouncy mutts always get a clean bill of health from their annual check up and the flatulence/defecation is within acceptable limits.

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Why do people want to feed fruit and veg to dogs? They don't have the same dietary requirements as people. They are carnivores,OK omnivores they do like a munch on grass now and then. And dried food?! They need to eat meat!
My jack Russell eats whatever tinned food I buy, with small bite mixer. Sometimes he gets leftovers.

I have read that for wolves and wild dogs when they eat their prey, which are mainly herbivores (rabbits and that sort of small furry mammals) they get their fruit and veg portions because they eat practically the whole of the animal including the contents of it's stomach.
Much as we need fruits and veges apparently so do our canine friends.
My staffie cross loves carrots and can often be found chewing on one when she has nicked one from the rabbit's hutch. She likes to chase the rabbit but hasn't tried to eat it............yet! The rabbit seems to enjoy the chasing too.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
My Dogue de Bordeaux has the Tesco complete dried food but we add something to it each day. Usually minced beef, tinned tuna, chicken, a pack of sausages, chicken livers and on Saturday night a steak and kidney pie.

stuee147

iv had collies lerchers boxers and several crosses and iv never had any problem with wagg dog food they like it i like the price ebay do it and most big supermarkets do it so its easy to get hold of.
i also swear by raw eggs for dogs all my dogs have had atleast 1 raw egg a week and they love it and it seems to help there coats and skin

Drago

Legendary Member
Some specially formulated dry food specifically for Labradors from a small scale manufacturer in the next village. Occasionally he (Lemmy, my beloved Field Labrador) gets the healthier scraps in place of a meal. He's an expensive, finlely bred pedigree dog with 5 solid generations of field trials champions in his lineage, so after going to all that expense and effort getting such a fine animal I'm not about to feed him crap like Pedigree Chum.

A slice of carrot is a well established healthy treat for a dog, as it tastes sweet to them.

At night time he gets a dentastik as a treat for his teeth. He gives me a kiss, shakes my , high fives me and he gets his treat.

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
This mutt is a rescue and has an enormous appetite.
MillieDog_zpsgbfc8uz5.jpg

The only things I've seen her spit out are olives and rhubarb. She's not to keen on tangerines either.
Anyroad, my in-laws have overindulged her until she was 20kg, 3-4kg over what she should be. She now has arthritis and a torn cruciate ligament so has gone on a diet to reduce her weight. We've given her many of the brands mentioned in this thread but now have to feed her on a low fat mixture, Burns weight control. The injuries mean that she can only do light exercise too so we're being very strict. Very strict, that is, with the in laws who don't seem to understand that they're crippling this dog with kindness. She has an occasional tin of sardines for variety.

BTW +1 for the porridge.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This mutt is a rescue and has an enormous appetite.
MillieDog_zpsgbfc8uz5.jpg

The only things I've seen her spit out are olives and rhubarb. She's not to keen on tangerines either.
Anyroad, my in-laws have overindulged her until she was 20kg, 3-4kg over what she should be. She now has arthritis and a torn cruciate ligament so has gone on a diet to reduce her weight. We've given her many of the brands mentioned in this thread but now have to feed her on a low fat mixture, Burns weight control. The injuries mean that she can only do light exercise too so we're being very strict. Very strict, that is, with the in laws who don't seem to understand that they're crippling this dog with kindness. She has an occasional tin of sardines for variety.

BTW +1 for the porridge.

She looks like our old dog Bruno!

Anyway, we fed him and our current Dog Cindy on dried food.

Renmurew

Veteran
Our dogs are raw fed. Their main diet consists of beef chunks, tripe chunks, chicken wings, chicken carcasses and lamb ribs. They also get sardines now and again and the Great Dane is very partial to the odd bowl of pasta! We have 2 chest freezers just for dog food. 6 week's supply fills the 2 freezers and costs around £120. Not bad for a Great Dane who eats about 3-4 kg of meat a day and a german shepherd who has about 1-2 kg If you have a local butcher who can provide meaty bones and scraps then raw feeding can work out very cheaply. Each to their own with feeding. If you find something that your dog thrives on then stick with it.

416f3594f434d729213b90fbe694d37e_zps8c5c830d.jpg

Wendy

cbs

We have a whippet, a greyhound and a grumpy old lurcher with attachment issues, and they eat Pets at Home's own brand Lamb dried food mainly, supplemented with occasional meat scraps and whatever else they can reach (which for the Greyhound is most things). They love carrot, and can determine by sound alone when someone is getting the peeler out of the drawer. The lurcher is partial to an apple core and will materialise next to anyone who is eating an apple, then stare intently at them until they give him the remains.

We used to buy whatever was on offer, either Science Diet or James Wellbeloved, but some disagreed with them, others were too small a kibble, and the Lamb one seems to be well liked and generally agreeable to all. Worst we tried was Purina, which gave them all terrible wind...

Skinny dogs do tend to be scavengers (IOW, thieves), and will grab whatever they can find. We were sitting at the table once, when we realised that the Whippet had gone, having slipped through a gate accidentally left open. We found him upstairs, just finishing a bar of 85% cocoa solids chocolate! Later on at the vets, after they had admistered an emetic, the nurse came through and told us that he had brought up the chocolate, then came back a few minutes later to ask if there was a chance he had eaten any sweets? A little later she reported the appearance of sandwich remains! An overnight stay and a charcoal meal or two later and he was fine, but we do keep a closer eye on him now.

Top Bottom