What do you feed your dog(s) on and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Royal canin neutered vet supplied dry food 'not available at pet shops etc' I get it free as a rule due to having a vet in the family. Dog loves it.
have used shop supplied Royal Canin too and that gets woofed down, dogs had RC since 3 mth old and now a healthy slim 11 yr old. Good food

hedder2212

we just feed our springerXcollie whatever we eat, she gets all the scraps topped up with a cup of purina pro plan, we occasionally treat her to some boneless chicken and some fish if theres some going cheap at asda but shes a happy and healthy 13 year old dog, always fed our dogs like that and they've all been happy, healthy and old dogs..

U

User6179

The cheaper ones often have far more grain than meat content. That's the main difference. If you read the first ingredients in the cheap stuff it usually starts with maize, etc whereas the expensive stuff the meat, be it chicken or whatever is listed first and has a lot more of it.

True but I think it might not mean meat but actually all parts of the chicken including bone in the percentage terms of what is in it .

Mo1959

Legendary Member
we just feed our springerXcollie whatever we eat, she gets all the scraps topped up with a cup of purina pro plan, we occasionally treat her to some boneless chicken and some fish if theres some going cheap at asda but shes a happy and healthy 13 year old dog, always fed our dogs like that and they've all been happy, healthy and old dogs..
That's the way dogs always used to be fed. I remember my uncle putting some porridge down in the mornings and scraps from the tea table at night to his working collie. Perfectly fine for them.

U

User6179

My grandparents dog was fed mostly on mince like themselves:smile: and lived till 15 , I think whatever the feed the worst thing is to overfeed which is quite easy on the dry food , current pooch is on a diet of just one mug of dry a day , about 600 calories , when I can get my two hands round her waist again I might up it to 800 calories .

U

User6179

[QUOTE 3615577, member: 9609"]he usually has a starter of Sardines, then it will be chicken or Mince or Tuna with pasta+dried dog food. Then he gets to clean the dishes and pans,
In between meals he has Fish Fingers (we do 5 a day and he has them when we have snacks).[/QUOTE]

You sure you don't have a cat ?^_^

hedder2212

That's the way dogs always used to be fed. I remember my uncle putting some porridge down in the mornings and scraps from the tea table at night to his working collie. Perfectly fine for them.
if its good enough for us, its good enough for them.

Sandra6

Veteran
Why do people want to feed fruit and veg to dogs? They don't have the same dietary requirements as people. They are carnivores,OK omnivores they do like a munch on grass now and then. And dried food?! They need to eat meat!
My jack Russell eats whatever tinned food I buy, with small bite mixer. Sometimes he gets leftovers.

hedder2212

Why do people want to feed fruit and veg to dogs? They don't have the same dietary requirements as people. They are carnivores,OK omnivores they do like a munch on grass now and then. And dried food?! They need to eat meat!
My jack Russell eats whatever tinned food I buy, with small bite mixer. Sometimes he gets leftovers.
Its actually about getting the balance right, My method of if its good enough for me its good enough for them is one I was bought up with. Grandads staffy lived a happy 17 years on that method, My mums jack Russell lived 15 years on that method, we had a greyhoundXlurcher that was 14 when he died (old for his size) and he was fed the same.
Nothing wrong with scraps, dry food aslong as the balance is right. The collieXspringer often happily chomps away on a carrot or a apple.

kipster

Guru

My dog digs up and eats carrots, she also goes potty for raw cabbage leaves, apple cores etc. Her main food is senior meaty stuff and some senior kibble, she is 13.

young Ed

Veteran
our working lab (gun dog) is on st johns silver working dog food
large dried biscuit type things

on the occasion that i'm feeling nice (very rarely) i will give her the meat off a rabbit, generally one with myxi. always raw of course

when i have my own dogs in the future i expect a lot of their diet while consist of the off cuts of meat and hares etc
Cheers Ed

U

User6179

Its actually about getting the balance right, My method of if its good enough for me its good enough for them is one I was bought up with. Grandads staffy lived a happy 17 years on that method, My mums jack Russell lived 15 years on that method, we had a greyhoundXlurcher that was 14 when he died (old for his size) and he was fed the same.
Nothing wrong with scraps, dry food aslong as the balance is right. The collieXspringer often happily chomps away on a carrot or a apple.

A Collie/springer , I bet that's a handful ?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Wagg Worker for our Staffie cross - he's been on it ever since we got him from the rescue kennels 8 years ago and he's still fit as a lop. £12 for a 17kilo bag that lasts about 6 weeks (300g per day)

Top Bottom