What do you feed your dog(s) on and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Shakes my hand, my HAND, you filthy minded smutmeister!

Cheddar George

oober member
Chudleys Classic dry food, about £ 16.00 for a 15Kg bag. Supplemented with whatever scraps are going and a raw carrot now and then.
He's a big dog (30Kg) but doesn't cost much to feed.

Have an Irish Setter puppy, well that's a bit of a loose description now she's almost eight months old. She started off on Natural Instinct raw puppy food as this was recommended by the breeder and as all the setters we have had have been finicky over food we thought we'd hit on the answer. That was until around a month ago. One day when we forgot to defrost the raw, all we could give her was an emergency tin of Butcher's Tripe loaf. Suffice to say and to our regret she loved it. She is still on two meals a day and has the tin in the morning and the raw in the evening. We also have on order some puppy food from Nutriment again raw frozen, which she has also liked previously so we hope to wean her off the tinned food by using this as a bit of variety.

cd365

Guru
Skinners Field & Trial Working 23 for my black Labrador. Plus he gets scraps, nothing is thrown away. And he loves a Sunday dinner with all the trimmings.
He is a very fit and healthy 5 year old.

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
We have a whippet, a greyhound and a grumpy old lurcher with attachment issues, and they eat Pets at Home's own brand Lamb dried food mainly, supplemented with occasional meat scraps and whatever else they can reach (which for the Greyhound is most things). They love carrot, and can determine by sound alone when someone is getting the peeler out of the drawer. The lurcher is partial to an apple core and will materialise next to anyone who is eating an apple, then stare intently at them until they give him the remains.

We used to buy whatever was on offer, either Science Diet or James Wellbeloved, but some disagreed with them, others were too small a kibble, and the Lamb one seems to be well liked and generally agreeable to all. Worst we tried was Purina, which gave them all terrible wind...

Skinny dogs do tend to be scavengers (IOW, thieves), and will grab whatever they can find. We were sitting at the table once, when we realised that the Whippet had gone, having slipped through a gate accidentally left open. We found him upstairs, just finishing a bar of 85% cocoa solids chocolate! Later on at the vets, after they had admistered an emetic, the nurse came through and told us that he had brought up the chocolate, then came back a few minutes later to ask if there was a chance he had eaten any sweets? A little later she reported the appearance of sandwich remains! An overnight stay and a charcoal meal or two later and he was fine, but we do keep a closer eye on him now.

Glad the whippet was ok after all that

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Glad the whippet was ok after all that
Our foster whippet did something similar. He got into the kitchen when we were out and ate a kilo of haslet (is that how you spell it?) that Hubs had left out to defrost. He ate a whole fish pie that was also left out to defrost and a large chicken pie that was on the cooling rack. Vet gave him an emetic and he was fine. We knew it was the whippet as everyone else was still slim and the Whippet (Feargal) suddenly had this huge pot belly.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Our foster whippet did something similar. He got into the kitchen when we were out and ate a kilo of haslet (is that how you spell it?) that Hubs had left out to defrost. He ate a whole fish pie that was also left out to defrost and a large chicken pie that was on the cooling rack. Vet gave him an emetic and he was fine. We knew it was the whippet as everyone else was still slim and the Whippet (Feargal) suddenly had this huge pot belly.

People questions before eating something:
Am I hungry?
Is it time for dinner?
Is it something I like?
Does it look tasty?
Does it smell alright?
Is it healthy?
Does it fit with my diet?
Is it vegetarian/vegan/organic?

Dog questions before eating something:
Is it edible?

OP
OP
Dave the Smeghead

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Or try and eat it any way and if it makes me sick I can then eat that too -again!

Obviously from the dogs perspective. As a general rule I don't do that - unless I am seriously drunk

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Just remembered on old Dutch pal, Mauritz, who had a cocker spaniel called Jodockus. Mauritz did a few seasons as a courier on French campsites accompanied by Jodockus. The dog was a right thief, his party trick being to steal sausages from the barbecue. I've seen him gently remove a banger from an incandescent barbie without making a sound and seemingly not getting burned.
Liked a lager too IIRC.

Top Bottom