What do you get at the Indian?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
The Velvet Curtain said:
Living in Leicester I have some of the countries best curry houses within staggering distance, North Indian with lots of meat dishes when rounding off a beer evening, but mostly lighter South Indian vegitarian places if I want to enjoy a meal.

Is it true that Leicester was where the Balti was invented so is therefore, not really Indian ?

Elmer Fudd said:
Is it true that Leicester was where the Balti was invented so is therefore, not really Indian ?

Nah! Must have been Baltimore. :biggrin:

walker

If i'm in the middle of a training week I have a boiled rice and a tandorri Chicken and possible a bhindi bahji with spinach, if not, its a toss up between a lamb sag or a lamb madras.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
MY home town is famous for the greatest concentration of indian curry houses in the North of England.....no less than 13 on Ocean road and because the competition is hot most of them are excellent..if you like that sort of thing
I partake once a month or so to see if my digestive system can still take the beer 'n curry like it used to and every month the answer is the same...It can't :biggrin:xx(
http://www.visitsouthtyneside.co.uk/thingstodo/diningOutList.asp?pk_type=7

walker

Gary Askwith said:
MY home town is famous for the greatest concentration of indian curry houses in the North of England.....no less than 13 on Ocean road and because the competition is hot most of them are excellent..if you like that sort of thing
I partake once a month or so to see if my digestive system can still take the beer 'n curry like it used to and every month the answer is the same...It can't :biggrin:xx(

Badabum tish!!!! ;)

domtyler

Über Member
A mate of mine has a friend who is an environmental health inspector and she said that out of all the Indian restaurants on Brick Lane, just round the corner from where I work, she would eat at two of them.

Did she tell you which two or was that a kind of challenge where you have to work it out for yourself via trial and error?
(I only ever eat veggie food from indian etc restaurants, and mostly order tarka dhal, bhindi bhaji, brinjal bhaji, sag bhaji/aloo/paneer and chapattis)

Arch

Married to Night Train
mickle said:
King prawn vindaloo, boiled rice, paratha.

Every... single... time (I am soo boring) and sometimes several times a week.

Nah, there was the time you had the thali - you remember the place with the funny menus...

I'm also pretty predicable - if it's York Spice, it'll be Badami Murgh, otherwise Chicken Korma, or Pasanda. With Pilau rice, and maybe a bit of naan. And Poppadoms, of course. And a mango lassi if they'll do one, otherwise a Kingfisher or Cobra.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Gary Askwith said:

An impressive array indeed. However, it appears that "Paprika" and "Saffron Balti House" share at least part of a building. Just wondering if the owners have realised! ;)

TVC

Elmer, I think Birmingham claims the balti, though Manchester and Glasgow also seem to have dibs on it. Whatever, you are right it is not Indian, or even Pakistani where that particular type of masala originates.

The Velvet Curtain said:
Elmer, I think Birmingham claims the balti, though Manchester and Glasgow also seem to have dibs on it. Whatever, you are right it is not Indian, or even Pakistani where that particular type of masala originates.

My friend Shufique assures me that balti means bucket and has it's origins in communal lunchtime meals cooked by workmen in a bucket and eaten by dipping naan portions into it.

TVC

Patrick Stevens said:
My friend Shufique assures me that balti means bucket and has it's origins in communal lunchtime meals cooked by workmen in a bucket and eaten by dipping naan portions into it.

Whilst rebuilding the Bull Ring I assume;). Balti does supposidly refer to the type of pan it's cooked in.

Top Bottom