What do you look for when buying a new chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
silver rather than grey
They all end up black don't they?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
‘ferris-oxide’ red

Ah yes - I've had a few in that colour :blush:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Just remembered I've also got a Muc-Off Nanotube-treated Dura-Ace chain (RRP £109) ready to fit to my audax bike when I get round to buying a new cassette to go with it. Have to confess that I didn't pay for it myself though.

OP
OP
U

User16625

Fitted a KMC one today, seems smoother than the shimano HG93 one I had on it before. I also had an HG53 chain that felt very rumbly thro the pedals. There's definitely differences in the chains somewhere. I also only ever use the quick connector things aswell.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've just replaced a KMC Z8 with a SRAM PC850 on the commuter. The KMC came on the bike but has only lasted 900 miles and seemed to rust up quite quickly. Whilst overall the commuter doesnt get quite the same level of cleaning as the other bikes I do ensure it's always mechanically sound. As such the chain has been regularly cleaned and lubed so I was a bit dissappointed it needed replacing so quickly.

The other bikes all have KMC - the main reason for buying SRAM this time was it being the cheapest available on Amazon prime with next day delivery :laugh:

Top Bottom