What do you miss from long ago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably because kids would rather sit inside playing on their xbox or playstation now as opposed to the danger/risk element :sad:
We did not have playstations etc in the fifties (my era) and sixties but there are hordes of helicopter parents now.

Mike

Bartholomews half inch maps were works of art. Nice colours, beautiful typography, and exactly the right scale for a bike trip.
Yes they are beautiful but surely I'm not the only one who finds them a pain to read. I much prefer the cleaner clarity of OS and for most things on the bike these days have gone to OSM digital.

JPBoothy

Veteran
We did not have playstations etc in the fifties (my era) and sixties but there are hordes of helicopter parents now.

Mike
Sadly, I think I'm probably one of them. It sounds easy to say that a parent should refuse them a playstation/mobile phone etc but, you don't want them to be excluded and not 'fit in' at school by being the kids with nothing in common with their friends so it's a balancing act really. We have spent a lot of time outdoors with our children as they were growing up (walking/cycling/beaches etc..) but, once they reach a certain age they will want to do their own thing and all you can do is hope that the effort you put in during the early years will keep them on the right path.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Yes they are beautiful but surely I'm not the only one who finds them a pain to read. I much prefer the cleaner clarity of OS and for most things on the bike these days have gone to OSM digital.
I haven't used one for many years, for all the usual reasons, but I didn't find them hard to read at all. Mind you, I had eyesight in those days.

Salar

A fish out of water
No batteries required

RichardB

Slightly retro
No batteries required

Some of the boys at school had one, but parents balked at the cost, so I never learned to use one. One thing I did have was one of those bendy things that you used to draw an evenly-curved line on a graph. I went through several of those, because every time you hit your mate with it, the internal stiff bit broke and all your graphs had a kink.

Yes, I am aware this sounds dodgy.

(Update: ah yes, they are still around. Flexible curves. Nice.)
da122.jpg

Salar

A fish out of water
Yes, you can still get flexi curves, do you remember these, railway curves.

I started off in the drawing office using them to draw roads etc.

rrarider

Veteran
Fine instruments that helped put a man on the moon. They were good for 3 significant figures and that Faber-Castell 2/82N is the best slide rule ever made and was epensive. My own model 52/82 saw me through 6th form and the first 2 years at university. The lab in the final year had a Hewlett-Packard calculator costing hundreds of pounds in a cradle bolted to the bench. In the 3rd year I did buy a Sinclair Scientific calculator (only good for 3 significent figures) for the bargain price of about £29. I wish I still had that calculator as they go for a lot of money on e-bay. My last scientific calculator a Casio fx-61F, which I still have, is also highly prized on that auction site. If only I had a calculator with Nixie tubes in the display!

Salar

A fish out of water
My go to calculator which I've used for 25 years for design work is the Casio fx-82SX, but the numbers on the keys are now wearing thin.

Also got a couple from the 80's and 90's in good condition, Casio fx-85M (nice and retro looking) and a Sharp-EL-5020

Last edited:
Top Bottom