What do you miss from long ago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Summer holiday editions of kids comics such as Victor and Beano. Being read whilst munching on a 9d Cornish mivi ice cream.
Yep, remember those - used to get them from a news stand opposite blackpool north pier.
It was above a public toilet where i also remember other mysterious holiday reading matter - oddly worded notice about "venereal disease" or whatever they called it. Can't remember what their advice was but I wasn't going to have need of it for a few years anyway. So back to the bumper beano delights.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Talking Pictures TV sometimes shows old ones.
Including one about washing and returning milk bottles.
The Charley Says* one about the mortal danger posed by teapots baffled me until I actually did knock over a freshly-filled teapot a few years ago. I got straight into a cold shower but I temporarily lost a lot of skin from my stomach!

*Charley the cat voiced by Kenny Everett. Which is something else I miss.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Blackcurrant and liquorice humbugs. The ones I remember were so big that they were 2p each at the sweet counter at our local store.

Also Pacers.

My mk1 Toyota MR2 T-bar. :sad:

Champion the Wonder Horse.
I just remember that, maybe it was repeats, and it had been shipped from the states anyway.
In truth i fear that you would find that any many other progs from the period somewhat ropey if you were to see them again.
So, sad to say, you are probably missing your youth, facing your mortality.
Sorry for gloom, a tad hungover.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Blackcurrant and liquorice humbugs. The ones I remember were so big that they were 2p each at the sweet counter at our local store.

Also Pacers.

My mk1 Toyota MR2 T-bar. :sad:
Pacers used to be called Opal Mints didn't they? Probably giving my age away a bit there :whistle:

I still refuse to pronounce Nike as Nik'ee', and Nestles as Nest'les' (ley) or any of the other pointless pronunciation changes that are made. Don't get me started on the re-naming of sports stadiums/football grounds :angry:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I used to cycle round to my friend Martin's on Saturday mornings. Him and his brother would still be in their pyjamas watching the telly (Champion the Wonder Horse, Casey Jones). All this - getting up late, watching telly in the morning - would have been unthinkable in our household. I think they even had a colour telly.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Don't get me started on the re-naming of sports stadiums/football grounds
Yes, really. I do not think such advertisements should intrude on places of cultural significance, like sports stadiums. We have enough hustling being done by the powers that be for their friends in the conglomerates without defacing sports stadiums and venues. It is one thing to tastefully sponsor a team, but another to plaster your name all over it, after the edifice itself has been built largely at the public expense.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I used to cycle round to my friend Martin's on Saturday mornings. Him and his brother would still be in their pyjamas watching the telly (Champion the Wonder Horse, Casey Jones). All this - getting up late, watching telly in the morning - would have been unthinkable in our household. I think they even had a colour telly.
Whoah! Color Telly? That's pretty fancy!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, really. I do not think such advertisements should intrude on places of cultural significance, like sports stadiums. We have enough hustling being done by the powers that be for their friends in the conglomerates without defacing sports stadiums and venues. It is one thing to tastefully sponsor a team, but another to plaster your name all over it, after the edifice itself has been built largely at the public expense.
Kind of off topic, but to do with stadium sponsorship.

A mate of mine took his daughters to an event at the Millennium Dome O2 Stadium. He bought a cup of coffee from a coffee chain outlet as they emerged from the tube. As they entered the O2 he was stopped by security. "Excuse me sir, you are carrying a cup of <Chain X> coffee. You can't bring that in here. This is a <Chain Y> stadium." And they took his coffee off him.:crazy:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I just remember that, maybe it was repeats, and it had been shipped from the states anyway.
In truth i fear that you would find that any many other progs from the period somewhat ropey if you were to see them again.
So, sad to say, you are probably missing your youth, facing your mortality.
Sorry for gloom, a tad hungover.
Hey, I was just facing my mortality earlier in the week, cannot say it was fun, but people did a lot of that, back in the day, as well. Nice to have all the health care and testing I now have, as opposed to the sort of medicine we used to have in the States back in the day. Cheaper, yes, but with more "negative outcomes" than nowadays, due to a lack of ongoing and consistent health care and testing.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Whoah! Color Telly? That's pretty fancy!
Many years later I recognised my childhood friend Martin on telly. He was being interviewed on a program about what it was like being bald.

Hmmm ... Me (limited childhood exposure to colour telly, and certainly no telly during the day) full head of hair. Him (colour telly on Saturday mornings) bald as a coot. Coincidence? I think not.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Kind of off topic, but to do with stadium sponsorship.

A mate of mine took his daughters to an event at the Millennium Dome O2 Stadium. He bought a cup of coffee from a coffee chain outlet as they emerged from the tube. As they entered the O2 he was stopped by security. "Excuse me sir, you are carrying a cup of <Chain X> coffee. You can't bring that in here. This is a <Chain Y> stadium." And they took his coffee off him.:crazy:
That is just plain wrong, depriving a man of his property because it is not the right brand. I used to favor Arsenal. I cannot root for O2.

Top Bottom