What do you miss from long ago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am still amazed that in these times of Health & Safety overload (In the Western World anyway) that the rail companies would rather have a bike/pram in amongst the passengers where it is likely to become a lethal missile and obstruction with sharp edges in the event of a crash, rather than providing a separate goods type car.. Although, I know the answer is of course 'money' as with everything in our greedy society today. Lives are expendable, regardless of what manufacturers claim :angry:
As accidents are extremely rare on trains what you really mean is you want to be guaranteed a place to put your bike. By the way goods type cars were for...goods. There aren't any on trains anymore. .

Last edited:
It used be caramac but it's back now. One of my daughters sent me a caramac tree.....I was sick

JPBoothy

Veteran
@Slick
Good grief. I didn't press the like button as it may come across as insensitive. Thinking on now that I'm older and wiser, the things we used to do back then were totally reckless, but society was completely different. Thank god for health and safety nowadays that help to stop such tragic events your friend went through
You read my mind @Slick as I was just about to hit the like and thought the exact same thing :sad:

I'm always amazed by how casually the older generation will drop a sad tale into a conversation as if it was an everyday occurrence back then.

Slick

Guru
You read my mind @Slick as I was just about to hit the like and thought the exact same thing :sad:

I'm always amazed by how casually the older generation will drop a sad tale into a conversation as if it was an everyday occurrence back then.
It might not have been an every day occurrence but it was a way if life for some.

The older I get, the more sad tales I seem to remember.

colly

Re member eR
Bomb sites.

I'm very glad they aren't being produced anymore but they were terrific places for young kids to play on. Dangerous as it comes of course.
I moved out of Fulham when I was nine so that source of entertainment came to an end but I collected (and subsequently lost) no end of what I thought were interesting objects.
One place must have been a repository for a museum or or somesuch because under every other brick was a fossil. Big ones small ones. Being a kid I had no idea of the value or worth but I knew what fossils were.

Last edited:
Bomb sites.

I'm very glad they aren't being produced anymore but they were terrific places for young kids to play on. Dangerous at it comes of course.
I moved out of Fulham when I was nine so that source of entertainment came to an end but I collected (and subsequently lost) no end of what I thought were interesting objects.
One place must have been a repository for a museum or or somesuch because under every other brick was a fossil. Big ones small ones. Being a kid I had no idea of the value or worth but I knew what fossils were.
You wouldn't recognise fulham now colly. Don't know if you've ever seen the film "hue and cry". Very good scenes of kids playing on london bomb sites.

Mr Whyte

I`m only 58 but what I miss is going out for bike rides with friends after school back in the late 1960s in our suburb in Australia.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Making a cart from a plank and an old set of pram wheels. A piece of rope to steer it.
I recall deciding to go down a stupidly steep hill to the Mersey. What was I thinking?? Absolutely no chance. I can still see my bleeding knuckles after I flew off.
We had one of those. Once crashed while carrying a tin of paint on the front. 40 years later, the mark is still there on the pavement:laugh:

Top Bottom