What do you miss from long ago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Guards vans on trains. Chuck your bike in, sit in the guards van with it.
My parents chucked their child in from time to time and after about 3h 30 minutes the guard handed me over to my uncle along with the mail bags for the final 2 miles in a post office van. I didn't even have a label round my neck^_^.
I knew when I was approaching the destination as the accents of the platform staff at each station gradually became more like the accent my uncle spoke. Most of the stations are closed now and the ones that are left are unmanned.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I did that last year :okay:
I am still amazed that in these times of Health & Safety overload (In the Western World anyway) that the rail companies would rather have a bike/pram in amongst the passengers where it is likely to become a lethal missile and obstruction with sharp edges in the event of a crash, rather than providing a separate goods type car.. Although, I know the answer is of course 'money' as with everything in our greedy society today. Lives are expendable, regardless of what manufacturers claim :angry:

Last edited:
In shoe shops: Those boxes where you, as a kid, inserted your feet and looked down through a glass viewer to see the outline of your feet inside the your shoes to see how much room your toes had.
I doubt they were actually x-ray machines but in the 1950's/1960's who knows?

This was a time when kids were given small samples of mercury to hold and examine.
They were xray machines. My mother, who had radiological safety training and was pregnant, refused to be anywhere near them and got some funny comments at the time. Experts knew that x rays were dangerous at that time.

I remember pubs.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Vesta Ready Meals. They even did a Biriani at one time (nothing like any Biriani that I ever had in a restaurant, but I liked in itself.) Chicken Supreme, Beef Curry, Paella, Beef Risotto and Chow Mein. The only one you can get now is Chow Mein. All a pale shadow of the real thing that we know now, but a comfort food from times past.

I remember my mum occasionally cooking those, and for years I thought I didn't like curry. Turns out I did like curry very much but to paraphrase the late, great Douglass Adams: a food almost, but not entirely unlike curry

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You more or less have my vote. 60's my teenage years, 70's newly married, mortgaged, winter of discontent, 80's were not too bad, changed wives. 90's struggling to repair my finances and fund children at University. I don't own rose coloured spectacles.

On the other hand inflation washed away your mortgage in a few years

Profpointy

Legendary Member
w
In shoe shops: Those boxes where you, as a kid, inserted your feet and looked down through a glass viewer to see the outline of your feet inside the your shoes to see how much room your toes had.
I doubt they were actually x-ray machines but in the 1950's/1960's who knows?

This was a time when kids were given small samples of mercury to hold and examine.

I was given a small vial of mercury by the dentist. I used to play with it in my hands but gradually it all disappeared. I guess it was lost in the carpet or we breathed it in.

Top Bottom