What do you miss from long ago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My uncle, now in his eighties reckons his was the luckiest generation. They were the first not to have anyone shooting at them. If you left one job on the friday you could walk into another on the Monday. You went to university totally free. And any debts or mortgages were made trivial by inflation. He does have a point even though many things are better now in other ways

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
When we were kids we would always help out at the farm loading the freshly cut straw bale's from the fields to the tractor trailer. The fields were adjacent to the sea over looking Bardsey Island.. Once loaded and completely knackered we would all climb up on top of the bales and back to Aberdaron to unload it down the farm.. Trundling down the narrow lanes you had to keep a keen eye open for telephone wires. Everytime we came to one, we would all have to duck down to avoid getting caught up with it. The sun sets and views were stunning perched up high on the bales. Health and safety would have a field day nowadays as to what we did.. Going through Aberdaron nobody would bat an eye lid. We thought we were millionaire's after the farmer paid us £10 for a days work

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@Profpointy 's uncle is a wise man. He was in the vanguard of the luckiest generations. Sandwiched between the horrors of world wars, and ... er ... whatever comes next. Economic collapse, climate emergency, plague etc. With our nice post-war consensus benefits of education for free, affordable housing and final salary pensions (OK I missed out on that last one but two out of three ain't bad).

Slick

Guru
When we were kids we would always help out at the farm loading the freshly cut straw bale's from the fields to the tractor trailer. The fields were adjacent to the sea over looking Bardsey Island.. Once loaded and completely knackered we would all climb up on top of the bales and back to Aberdaron to unload it down the farm.. Trundling down the narrow lanes you had to keep a keen eye open for telephone wires. Everytime we came to one, we would all have to duck down to avoid getting caught up with it. The sun sets and views were stunning perched up high on the bales. Health and safety would have a field day nowadays as to what we did.. Going through Aberdaron nobody would bat an eye lid. We thought we were millionaire's after the farmer paid us £10 for a days work
You don't know how lucky you were. My friend was killed riding o the back of a silage trailer and hit his head on the lintel of the byre. I think it was worse that it was his dad who was driving, although the truth be told I was too young to fully understand.

johnnyb47

Guru
@Slick
Good grief. I didn't press the like button as it may come across as insensitive. Thinking on now that I'm older and wiser, the things we used to do back then were totally reckless, but society was completely different. Thank god for health and safety nowadays that help to stop such tragic events your friend went through

Henry's fish and chip shop. Chinese chippy. His Chinese curry was magnificent. Fish chips and Chinese curry. His secret recipes went to the grave with him.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Solatio shoes, or 'slats' as they were known then. Just the things to wear with your tank-top.

102top11.jpg

The simplicity of life: take the '80s, for example.
And where would you put it?

Sounds idyllic.
You a character in an enid blyton?

@Profpointy 's uncle is a wise man. He was in the vanguard of the luckiest generations. Sandwiched between the horrors of world wars, and ... er ... whatever comes next. Economic collapse, climate emergency, plague etc. With our nice post-war consensus benefits of education for free, affordable housing and final salary pensions (OK I missed out on that last one but two out of three ain't bad).
I always reckon that the absolute best time to be born, if you survived, was at the height of the blitz.

Top Bottom