What do you miss from long ago?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I doubt they were actually x-ray machines but in the 1950's/1960's who knows?

Withdrawn due to health concerns of irradiating children's feet !

Not sure i understand your post dayvo.
Being sarky?
No, not at all! Can't imagine why you'd assume that.

I was 20 in 1980. I started travelling (and haven't really stopped). I played cricket during the summers and rugby during the winters (when I wasn't away hitch-hiking and bumming around on beaches. I had a variety of different jobs, which allowed me to comfortably pursue my sport and travelling. I had a number of girlfriends, although no-one serious enoughp to 'settle down' with. I had a great bunch of friends with whom I went on cricket/rugby tours, skiing holidays, the Munich Oktoberfest, concerts and sporting events. I had the best time of my life in Israel - 8 months as a volunteer. I had very good family ties but wasn't spoilt at all. I took everything in my stride and with a smile on my face. I've been lucky to have been blessed with good health and fitness. Life was simple, not easy, just uncomplicated, and that's how I like it. No pretense, no bullshit, just fun.

Why did you think I was being 'sarky'? Maybe you had a 'shitty' '80's?!

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Withdrawn due to health concerns of irradiating children's feet !
I was scared that they would crush my feet because they looked like the compactor from a scrap yard :eek:

I suppose it would be handy if they only had the smaller sizes in the shoes that you liked though as they could crush them to fit :laugh:

JPBoothy

Veteran

I was 20 in 1980. I started travelling (and haven't really stopped). I played cricket during the summers and rugby during the winters (when I wasn't away hitch-hiking and bumming around on beaches. I had a variety of different jobs, which allowed me to comfortably pursue my sport and travelling. I had a number of girlfriends, although no-one serious enoughp to 'settle down' with. I had a great bunch of friends with whom I went on cricket/rugby tours, skiing holidays, the Munich Oktoberfest, concerts and sporting events. I had the best time of my life in Israel - 8 months as a volunteer. I had very good family ties but wasn't spoilt at all. I took everything in my stride and with a smile on my face. I've been lucky to have been blessed with good health and fitness. Life was simple, not easy, just uncomplicated, and that's how I like it. No pretense, no bullshit, just fun.

Sounds great to me.. I just wished that I'd been more confident and mature enough to take advantage of what was on offer at the time. I used to work behind a bar throughout the 80's with a great bunch of lads/girls and often look back and utter the infamous words "what if " to myself. Talk about maturing late though, it is only now that I've hit my mid 50's that I seem to have developed that 'whatever' attitude :rolleyes:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Wasn't it Clark's Commando shoes that had the compass in them?

Edit: A bit of websurfing confirms the Tuf Wayfinders had the compass (and the animal paw prints) - the Clark's Commando shoes came with a badge ^_^
I think you needed to be a Commando to lift the clumpy things off the floor.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Ah but that’s not about the 80’s that about you being in your 20’s and in a certain stage of your life. All you describe can and is being done in this decade. Well it is when lockdown lifts across the world.

Ah but that’s not about the 80’s that about you being in your 20’s and in a certain stage of your life. All you describe can and is being done in this decade. Well it is when lockdown lifts across the world.
Yes, but I was in my 20s during the '80s. I am now 60 and doing next to nothing now that I did then.

It doesn't matter if others can do 'all that' after the lockdown has been lifted, it isn't ME doing it. And even doing those things in the '90s as a 30+ man was much different to the previous decade.

I wasn't 20 in the 70s or the 00s, so your point is irrelevant. Society has changed immensely in 40 years. And while the lockdown is still in force here in Norway, it has virtually no effect on my life or day-to-day routine at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom