Votes: 33 20.4%
  • Cordial, Sqaush, diluted juice etc

Votes: 48 29.6%
  • Undiluted Fruit Juice

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Home Made Drink

Votes: 8 4.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
What are electrolytes good for then?

I usually use diluted juice or squash, but may switch to water after the comments about losing weight - still trying to shift a belly and guessing I don't need much additional energy to manage a 5-20 mile ride!

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan

Again stolen borrowed from BR

“Electrolytes are positively and negatively charged salts and minerals that allow messages to be passed from the brain to the muscles,” says Schenker. “Without them, our muscles will cramp, become weak, and lose power.” However, with too high a concentration of electrolytes we feel sick, dizzy and, in extreme circumstances, may end up in a coma, or even dead.

“In the body, electrolytes take the form of sodium, potassium, calcium and bicarbonate,” says Schenker, “but in our sweat we lose more sodium, making it the most important to replace on a ride.”

Full Article

Matty

I usually use diluted juice or squash, but may switch to water after the comments about losing weight - still trying to shift a belly and guessing I don't need much additional energy to manage a 5-20 mile ride!

Aren't electrolytes good after you've had the trots?

JNR

Aren't electrolytes good after you've had the trots?

If they've got salt in, then yes - Oral Rehydration Therapy is one of the most effective advances in modern medicine and saves millions of lives every year in the third world by recovering children from diarrhea which is one of the biggest killers.

It's easy to make as well, 1 litre of water, 8 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The title of this thread reminded me of the one and only time i put something fizzy in my bottle!!!

For long rides on hot days i have one cold water bottle on the frame, and two frozen ones in my pack; by the time I've got through the 1st, the others are half defrosted and nicely chilled.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Somebody posted once that they put custard in their bottle.

sundaram

I prefer water to any other thing. This is because I tend to feel thirsty every now and then particularly of late. Therefore carrying water in the bottle makes me feel confident and safe.

Only water in my camelbak or water bottles, but sometimes it's frozen. Like this weekend I filled the 3litre bag up with ice and topped it off with water, went through the whole thing in under 2 hours. I don't carry extra food/energy for rides less than 2 hours and for longer rides I prefer to use powerbars to maintain energy levels.

sundaram

The other day I asked my son what he preferred in the bottle. Pat came the reply from him, ' dad, I would like to carry the soft ice cream in it!' A good idea though!

Top Bottom