What do you remember being invented?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
What things do you remember there didn't used to be, then there were? I know we'll all be able to say computers and mobile phones and stuff, but what other, less monumental things?

I was inspired to start this topic because I was walking to the station today in the rain and saw a woman with one of those see-through brollies that you can pull down so that they are right over your head, but you can still see. I remember when those were 'the latest thing', and the only person I saw using one was the Queen....

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The hovercraft.

I'm so pleased we got to France on one of the last Hoverspeed scheduled crossings from Dover.

colly

Re member eR
The hovercraft.

I'm so pleased we got to France on one of the last Hoverspeed scheduled crossings from Dover.
Yeah me and my better half came back from France on one of the big ones. Fast, furious, NOISY as buggery and it was a rough crossing.
Great invention.:biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I remember razors being launched that had...TWO BLADES!!!!!!
Now we seem locked into a sort of hairy-faced arms race...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I remember a chap in the first class on a train to Euston using one, during the Preston stop he had a crowd of kids pressing their snotty noses up against the window.
I could be wrong, but the original Sinclairs were a kit of parts in about 1975. The first pre-assembled ones cost an absolute fortune... was it £30?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I remember having a bash at making an LED rear light in 1985, but I just couldn't get it bright enough.
In about '94 the VistaLites were launched. And filament bulb bike lights were on the way out.
LED bike lights were a game-changer. I don't own a bike light or torch that isn't LED powered.

PK99

Legendary Member
[quote="slowmotion, post: 1824495, member: 8064"
Calculators[/quote]

first year at Uni in 1974, my Dad bought me a calculator for Xmas. +-/* x^2 rootx sine tan arc sine and not much more, £50 when beer was 10p a pint = 500 pints = £1500 in new money

Top Bottom