What do you remember being invented?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
- pocket calculators
- amstrad computers
- personal computers
- 3.5 inch disks
- some infernal contraption called the internet
- google
- and as for the b@st@rd who invented e-mail and sold it into work places, there's a special place in hell reserved for you; overseen by every micro-managing git in history

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[quote="slowmotion, post: 1824495, member: 8064"
Calculators

first year at Uni in 1974, my Dad bought me a calculator for Xmas. +-/* x^2 rootx sine tan arc sine and not much more, £50 when beer was 10p a pint = 500 pints = £1500 in new money[/quote]
YOU WERE LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!
A pint of Adnams at the college bar cost a whopping 13p in 1973:sad: It wasn't all bad though....twenty Rothmans cost 28p.

Ah, Progress.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Fax machines. Bought one when we set up business. Very leading edge. Canon, used a thermal paper roll. £1300.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I like the sound they make, but stoppering an expensive liquid with a squidgy bit of tree Makes No Sense.

EDIT Corks, that is. Not fax machines. I don't like the noise faxes make at all.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Fax machines. Bought one when we set up business. Very leading edge. Canon, used a thermal paper roll. £1300.

Company I worked for at the time sent all our customers a letter asking if anyone else will be buying a Facsimile Machine as if they were, then the company would look at purchasing one also.

Huge anticipation in the company on fax machine delivery day.....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Company I worked for at the time sent all our customers a letter asking if anyone else will be buying a Facsimile Machine as if they were, then the company would look at purchasing one also.

Huge anticipation in the company on fax machine delivery day.....
IIRC, the sudden boom for the fax machine for business use came as a result of a postal strike?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Satellite TV.
Sat-Nav.
Punture resistant bike tyres.
Derailleur gears for the masses.
Carbon frames.
QR wheels.
Brakes that work!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I could be wrong, but the original Sinclairs were a kit of parts in about 1975. The first pre-assembled ones cost an absolute fortune... was it £30?

I remember my first one costing £9.99, sometime around 1976. A Prinztronic from Dixons with only the most basic functions apart from a square root key! The type you get as freebies these days, or £2 from Aldis.

Top Bottom