What do you remember being invented?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the hovercraft
300px-SRN1_Hovercraft.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Scary Dell... of all the inventions in the world, you pick that... [post No.2]

Night Train

Maker of Things
Interesting Wikipedia article suggests that fax machines were invented in the late 1800s......some CC members are slightly older than their profile pages let on
Yes, that's why I didn't mention one earlier.
Fax machines. Bought one when we set up business. Very leading edge. Canon, used a thermal paper roll. £1300.
I still have a box of about two dozen rolls of the stuff!

The 13A fused three pin plug, taking over from the old 15A and 5A unfused round pin plugs.
Decimal currency.

Paul J

My dad had one of Clive Sinclairs LCD watches? The digits where red like the calculators and didn't display all the time.

sinclair2.jpg

Paul J

[QUOTE 1825024, member: 45"]Oooh, do you remember the ones with a black face and the time only lit up in red when you pressed a button on the side?[/quote]

Thats one of them in the pic or do you mean more conventional shape? I think my cousin had one of those ones. Chrome with a black face

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Remote controls (how did we survive untill these came along)
VCRs
Nintendo game and watch....I still have mine and wasted many an hour playing Donkey Kong,Cement Factory and Snoopy Tennis.
Atari 2600
Colecovision.
Raliegh Grifter.What a heavy lump it was with the foam seat and 3 twisty gears on the handle bars.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Child proof caps on medicine bottles - now refined to such a degree that they can reduce an intelligent adult to a state of screaming rage during an attempt to get a tablet for a headache.
I remember my dad handing me one of these when they first came out to see what I'd do. EDIT: I'd have been about 6 or 7 at the time.

If I remember right I'd got it open in about 30 seconds.:whistle:

bobg

Über Member
Not quite "what was invented" but what fell into the "overtaken by progress" category

We were all issued with round ebony rulers when I first went to work for HMC&E
In my first couple of years at school 1954/5 the teacher handed out wooden frames slates, a piece of chalk each and a little square of felt for rubbing out. After that it was nib pens and the best kid got the job of topping up the ink wells on each desk

asterix

Comrade Member
probably been mentioned, but.. Super Glue?

Also superballs (down Fnaar!) - incredibly easy to lose instantly.

And those wavy hand things to put in the back window of your car (the front window if you had a Reliant Robin). The inventor apparently made a fortune.

Also on the car theme, 'Put a Tiger in your Tank'..

Top Bottom