What do you remember being invented?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 1825024, member: 45"]Oooh, do you remember the ones with a black face and the time only lit up in red when you pressed a button on the side?[/quote]
Yeah, kid i sat next to in class had one. There's always one whose parents can afford all the latest gadgets.

TVC

I remember the invention of remote data transfer as a way of improving measurement stability within 2-D and areal surface measurement instruments.

Why do I remember it? Because I invented it :becool:

TVC

OK but what is it in simple terms for us simpletons? And did you make a fortune from it? Should I be nice to you in the hope of getting a few handouts?)

I made no money from it, but the company I worked for did. All I got was my name on the patent as the sole inventor. In simple terms it helps stop a very sensitive measuring device vibrating while it's collecting data.

TVC

On many surface and form measuring instruments the data collection head (like a very sensitive record player needle, resolution >0.1nm) is separated from the processing assembly. If these are connected by a lead (RS232-USB etc) then the movement of the lead in air can cause vibration to be transmitted to the data collector. If you go wireless and remove the lead the whole system becomes more stable.

I came up with the idea in a conversation with my boss, and our immediate reaction was 'why isn't anyone doing this, it's so obvious'. I got the research guys involved, who did a search and realised that not only had no one done such an obvious thing, but we could patent it and stop our competitors doing it for 10 years - Result!!!!

Maz

Guru
Glass pint milk bottles going from tall and slim, to short and stumpy (early 1980s?).
Presumably the new design used less glass.

Top Bottom