What do you think of my product?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is an iteration of my product. It is a bottle holder made of cardboard which has a speaker to deter animals, light to deter animals and motorists, ultrasound sensors all around it which detect the animal or motorist and turn on the light and speaker. It also has a waterproof casing. I shall be much grateful if you could please let me know your ideas(good and bad features of this product, advantages and disadvantages of cardboard, improvements to product, what materials you think the final product should be made of etc) in detail below as this is for my GCSE Design Engineering coursework. The final product won't be made out of cardboard! Thank you!
IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1694.JPG

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Have you thought about inventing indicators for bicycles?

classic33

Leg End Member
How are the movement of the legs accounted for?

Have you checked the legal posistion of using an ultrasonic device in public?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A car driver won't hear the speaker , and how does a light deter motorists? If you are filtering in traffic will it be constantly triggered? How long is the battery life? I'd expect any bottle cage to be waterproof, what do you mean by waterproof casing?

I ride at night quite a lot, particularly in winter. One thing I can struggle with is putting a water bottle back in the dark. If you had a bottle cage that had low level LEDs that lit up at night, when the bottle is removed, then turned out once bottle back. Plus it recharged from solar during the day. That is something I'd be interested in. If of course the bottle cage was as effective as any other bottle cage.

Materials - well steel, aluminium work quite well and can be recycled. Wood would be fine if robust enough given the vibrations bottle cages are subjected to.

why do you ask for comments regarding the advantages and disadvantages of cardboard if it isn't being made of cardboard

OP
OP
D
A car driver won't hear the speaker , and how does a light deter motorists? If you are filtering in traffic will it be constantly triggered? How long is the battery life? I'd expect any bottle cage to be waterproof, what do you mean by waterproof casing?

I ride at night quite a lot, particularly in winter. One thing I can struggle with is putting a water bottle back in the dark. If you had a bottle cage that had low level LEDs that lit up at night, when the bottle is removed, then turned out once bottle back. Plus it recharged from solar during the day. That is something I'd be interested in. If of course the bottle cage was as effective as any other bottle cage.

Materials - well steel, aluminium work quite well and can be recycled. Wood would be fine if robust enough given the vibrations bottle cages are subjected to.
thanks for your help. this product is for countryside use, so it can be turned off when riding in traffic. the low light LEDs are a great idea! The waterproof casing means there is a case for the holder to be put in when not in use as the ultrasound sensors can get damaged. The battery life(not considering recharging by solar) will be about 20 hours. I know a driver wont hear the speaker, so thats why the light indicators are there

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In the countryside at night a driver can see your red lights from behind and your white light from your front. Most of the lights made also have side visibility. At what angles / approaches and distances are these lights to be triggered and will they not be hidden by the rider's legs?

What problem of riding at night in the countryside are you trying to solve that hasn't already solved by the current legal requirements for bike lighting at night?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Have a think about my suggestion of low level LEDs, a sensor that detects when dark (hint Dynamo lights already have these sensors), a solar panel to recharge any battery, and detection as to whether a bottle is in the cage or not. Sure it'd be acceptable as a project for your coursework and something I'd buy if well executed. Dropping bottles at night as I fumbled putting them back in, or needing to stop to do it, is no fun.

Of course a normal bottle cage with photo fluorescent paint may work even better and be far simpler. KISS principle !

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
thanks for your help. this product is for countryside use, so it can be turned off when riding in traffic. the low light LEDs are a great idea! The waterproof casing means there is a case for the holder to be put in when not in use as the ultrasound sensors can get damaged. The battery life(not considering recharging by solar) will be about 20 hours. I know a driver wont hear the speaker, so thats why the light indicators are there
If there's a risk of damage to the speaker(s), is the product up to being used on a bike on the road.

Will the speakers only affect animals on legs, or work on those on the wing. Worth bearing in mind that some four legged animals are half a ton up, weight wise. How will they be affected? There's no winners in a motor vehicle/horse or bull collision. How will a cyclist fare.

Top Bottom