What do you wear in winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If cycling at night on roads, something like this is a good idea. Layer up under it
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/360-reflective-mens-jacket-p14539.aspx/silver/

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yesterday I tried out the new dhb Aeron jacket I was given for Christmas. It was about 5c with a brisk easterly wind. Underneath it I wore only a Helly Hansen Lifa vest. It didn't rain so I couldn't test the waterproofness but if you hold the jacket under a running tap the water just runs straight off like off a duck's back. I'm impressed so far. I felt pretty comfortable on the ride.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

How are you going with these two items?

The base layer is insanely good, really one of my best purchases to date :okay:

The pants and jersey are great on their own in autumn. With the base layer underneath I went on a ride in mid December and it was alright but maybe slightly cold.

That's why I'm on the hunt for a winter jacket :laugh:

A small child’s sock?

In the really cold weather these might help. I'm sure you can even get them in club colours.

IBarrett

Über Member
I took this recommendation and bought the long sleeve version.
I sweat a lot because I work hard on my rides but as this soaks everything I’ve really suffered with a very cold torso which eventually gets into my core. Despite wearing a base layer and either Castelli Gabba or Stolen Goat Climb & Conquer jacket.
I’ve worn the Brynje base layer a few times now with a thin merino shirt and one of my jackets. It has massively improved how warm I feel. I still have a soaking merino shirt but the Brynje layer keeps it off me and doesn’t hold sweat itself so creates a warm air layer.
Thank you for the recommendation @numbnuts

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I sweat a lot because I work hard on my rides but as this soaks everything I’ve really suffered with a very cold torso which eventually gets into my core. Despite wearing a base layer and either Castelli Gabba or Stolen Goat Climb & Conquer jacket.

I tend to run hot and thus sweat a fair bit on the bike. Ive been quite comfortable in down to 5'c in a DHB Merino base layer and an Endura Windchill II softshell.

I was going to suggest that you try changing your shell layer but the gabba and SG jacket are more or less like winter jerseys anyway and the Gabba has vents that can be zipped up or left open...

have you tried a roubaix winter jersey with a merino base and paired it with a gilet? throw in your usual snood around your neck or on your head to protect your ears and exposed noggin.

Last 2wks i've only been out twice, nice sunny, dry but cold days around 2-5º and i wear base layer vest, Assos winter under short (full length) and then a Mille GT outer shirt. Down below it's a winter bib set (short) with thick leg warmers.

Like this and with the usual decent gloves, cap, buff and toe covers i'm OK down to around -2º as long as it's dry and not windy, don't do wind or rain.....

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

Update: this decathlon winter jacket I bought is excellent. The jacket on top of the HH base layer is all I need for cycling in winter. Went for a ride yesterday morning at 0 degrees and was cosy for all the ride. I upgraded to cycling specific gloves.

Still cold feet though: I tried the ziploc bags trick as seen on GCN youtube channel but didn't work (I have flat pedals and ride in sneakers so no overshoes for me)

Top Bottom