What does 40mph on a Brompton look like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
There's no Brompton in that video :whistle:

midlife

Guru
Why is it so wobbly? Like looking underwater, made me feel a bit nauseaous.........

Steeper hill next time :smile:

Shaun

chris folder

Hi:hello: 40mph is quite fast rideing what gear was you in? I always ride slow when ice about on the rhodes fell off few times on other bikes winds you a bit to cant save your fall on ice very well i find. If you ride on a icy patch pull brakes the bike slides away so quick and always feel silly when fall off to everyone in cars etc looking

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Well I was in 6th, but I wasn't pedalling.

To be honest, 44 mph is the fastest top speed I've recorded down that hill, and it doesn't seem to matter which bike I'm on. Brompton, full-size folder, or road bike. without a bigger gear to push, I'm purely relying on gravity trying to overcome wind resistance.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Cripes. At least you're close to the hospital if you come off. And I notice you took the easy way out by going left round the magic roundabout at the bottom rather than right, as the signs recommend!

The only time I've been down part of Marlow Hill on a bike was on a tourer. I wanted to turn right half-way down, and I had the brakes jammed on hard more or less all the way.

Next time I want to see you go all the way up Amersham Hill, rather than turn into the station.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
If you know the area, then I've been up Totteridge Road on the Brompton. On the pedals and absolutely blowing out my arse on the left-hand bend at the top, but I made it.

Obviously, it's the same height as Amersham Hill, but shorter, so steeper.

12boy

Guru
Hats off to you Kell! I would find that ride terrifying. The fast part was scary enough but dodging those grates and vying with the cars for inches of spaces seems pretty high on the pucker scale.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Hats off to you Kell! I would find that ride terrifying. The fast part was scary enough but dodging those grates and vying with the cars for inches of spaces seems pretty high on the pucker scale.

You think that's bad, you should see the ride when I get off the train at the other end...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You think that's bad, you should see the ride when I get off the train at the other end...
Anywhere around Marylebone is straightforward, unless you are one of those nutters who simply turns onto the Marylebone/Euston Road.

Top Bottom