What does your home town/location mean to you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Home town as in the place I grew up. It's been 25 years since I've lived there. I have a somewhat rose tinted view of the area; not sure how much I'd enjoy the area if I moved back.

As for where I am now; I moved to Worthing only because my wife is Worthing born & bred and at the time it made more sense for me to move here than for her to move to Dorset. My opinion on Worthing is that it's a dirty farking shyte hole with absolutely naff all good about it (Other opinions available 👍).

I left my "home town" at 13 to move to a villiage then at 19 moved to a nearby Fine City. I was away back and forward for university, work with spells between contracts living in Fine City.
I moved back in 2003 and have been here ever since.
The neighbours in my terraced street have been the same since we moved in years ago and the street is very mixed with old/young/professional/students
The house is close to a nice city centre and an easy bike ride to anywhere in the city and 10 mins from countrtside.
I have enough social connections here but not heaving with relatives or old school mates.
I like it and can see no good reason to live anywhere else.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have been on Mull for nearly 50 years but lived in a variety of places before. It was a good place to live when we came here despite the limitations of a small population but now it has been taken over by settlers who want to turn it into a theme park and the sense of community I knew has largely gone. There were many community events from panto, amdram and various beach events. When Calmac wanted to shut the main pier the whole community united in a variety of imaginative protests which is a story in itself.
Cycling is a bit limited in some respects but there are several circular routes of varying length and quite a few forest tracks. I have been to more odd corners cycling than I would ever have found on foot. You have to be pretty self sufficient to cycle miles away from any assistance with limited phone coverage in winter particularly.
My other interests of scuba diving and sailing were well catered for but the diving club has now gone and the yacht club are all strangers to me.
There are still people I know here and others who know me and wave from their cars as they pass when I am cycling. I am never very sure who they are.
Somehow I cannot think of anywhere I would call home.
If I were to move away which I would regret I think I would go to Benderloch near Oban for better cycling and shopping. My family live near there of course but that is not my main consideration.
In any case I will end up here some day probably in a box.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I have gradually ended up in the Dartford area (Stone to be exact). But don't let anyone give the "dirty Dartford" spiel, it really is alright, there's a lot of local history (in past times it had the highest number of pubs in any town) and there are convenient transport links. Plus we can walk into Bluewater in a few minutes woop woop.
As far as cycling goes we can easily be in full on rural settings within 20mins with a superb network of very minor and hilly roads nearby.
However I grew up in Milford-on-Sea in Hampshire. Its funny, but I don't think you ever get to know a place compared with where you originate from.

There's places a lot worse than Dartford. Slade Green and Erith in particular!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I come from Leicester, which in the years that I was there was a particularly unremarkable mid-sized city, lacking any decent shopping, no stand-out industry and seemed to serve only as a butt of the jokes of London writers (e.g. EastEnders plot lines).

After I left it gained firstly a sporting pedigree (rugby, football and cricket teams all winning major national trophies in the same year), a shining example of ethnic integration during the riots, a King found under a council car park and then international recognition with the Premiership going to the football club. Since then it has become the COVID-19 hotspot, but still retains much kudos from its recent history. Hopefully the improvement was not just due to me leaving.

Following Uni and post-uni life, I moved to a suburb of Birmingham with little going for it. Described in a national newspaper as Bournville's (of chocolate fame) dishevelled neighbour. It was nothing more than a decaying ribbon development a little too crowded around one of Birmingham's major thoroughfares, but with decent transport links and a remarkable community feel despite high levels of depravation.

However since then it has gained a new input of creatives put off the more trendy neighbouring areas by accomodation prices, and was recently described as one of Britain's top 10 coolest suburbs in a national publication. Which is nice. It is still more than a bit dishevelled, mainly due to the damage cause by Tesco and Lidl knocking buildings down and then doing nothing, and by developers and land owners sitting on assets without doing anything, but if you want great quality Malaysian, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Italian, Bangladeshi/Pakistani food, as well as very good British options, as well as other artisans and activities/displays put on by a myriad of local community groups and people, then my adjacent suburb (not Selly Oak) is the place to go. And still on a major bus route, cycle path and train line as well as road into the city centre.

Last edited:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I’ve lived in Edinburgh for the past 26 years. Apart from being the home of my wife and her family, the things that mean most to me about this place are its history, its geology, its writers, its cafes, museums and galleries, its green spaces and its views of hills and sea.

What does your location mean to you ?

I also live in Edinburgh (15 years), and can only echo your sentiments. Not only does the city have some fascinating history and architecture. It has the 2 P’s within a couple of miles of its centre. Portobello beach and the Pentland hills can be ridden by bike with almost no on-road riding needed. The cycling infrastructure is very good compared with other UK cities I have visited. As a’white settler’ I feel very lucky to have found my wife who has lived her whole life here.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've lived in 'snuffy arrod' all my life.
https://www.great-harwood.org.uk/

'The Duke of Kent visited East Lancashire in 1936 and spent some time in Great Harwood to see the effects of the cotton depression'.

By coincidence i've just walked up the high street in this pic'

It's not a bad place. Fairly low crime rate and close to some very nice countryside.
Great Harwood is in the borough of Hyndburn,which is made up of a few smaller towns and the bigger town of Accrington.
1610647469401.png

11 min (3.6 mi) via Whalley Rd/A680

Attachments

• 1610646015791.png
    1610646015791.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I moved from the southeast London boundary in my late 20s, as I’d had enough, and I don’t have any wish to go back. I like the sea, and the countryside, and I’m 5 minutes walk from both now.
As for history, I really enjoy it, and there’s some local to me, Chichester principally, but also other local towns with blue plaques on show.
The closest town is an old seaside town, with all that is common to other seaside towns in the modern day, lots of lovely large old houses converted to flats, with minimal parking and often very little ‘buy-in’ from the people living in them. Over populated is the vision I see, although that may not be the case.
As Jefferson Meriwether states,
...My opinion on Worthing is that it's a dirty farking shyte hole with absolutely naff all good about it (Other opinions available 👍).

All that said, I’m blissfully happy, because I can relax, and observe what is around me to a sufficient extent that I don’t need to be anywhere else.

Last edited:
The closest town is an old seaside town, with all that is common to other seaside towns in the modern day, lots of lovely large old houses converted to flats, with minimal parking and often very little ‘buy-in’ from the people living in them. Over populated is the vision I see, although that may not be the case.
As Jefferson Meriwether states,

All that said, I’m blissfully happy, because I can relax, and observe what is around me to a sufficient extent that I don’t need to be anywhere else.

Part of the reason I've a dislike of the area is because I'm a West Country lad at heart and feel a tad homesick for that neck of the woods.

GetFatty

Über Member
I've lived in 'snuffy arrod' all my life.
https://www.great-harwood.org.uk/

'The Duke of Kent visited East Lancashire in 1936 and spent some time in Great Harwood to see the effects of the cotton depression'.

By coincidence i've just walked up the high street in this pic'

It's not a bad place. Fairly low crime rate and close to some very nice countryside.
Great Harwood is in the borough of Hyndburn,which is made up of a few smaller towns and the bigger town of Accrington.
View attachment 568879
11 min (3.6 mi) via Whalley Rd/A680
My dad was from Arrud.

GetFatty

Über Member
I’m from Nelson in Lancashire. As a child in the 70s and 80s it was great, countryside nearby, still had a thriving cotton industry for my early years with associated social clubs that survived the mills. The demise of cotton and successive councils’ attempts to drive life out of the town centre means it’s pretty horrible now. When I do visit I spend most of time out at country pubs than anywhere near the town. I left in 1991.

Welling where I live now is ok but nothing special. It’s basically a town that grew on either side of the old road into Kent. It then got subsumed into London. We do have a Russian cannon though

Top Bottom