What does your home town/location mean to you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wasn’t being picky, I had to check. Her flat was at the top of the old landfill 😊
Yes,it was landfill before...i think. The name of the road will come to me...eventually.:smile:

I'd try that Google map,where you can move it around the streets to find stuff,but i'm not very good at maneuvering the thingy bit around.:laugh:

Did you ever go to the 'El Tropicano' club on Sunday nights?^_^

Plastic palm trees and fish tanks built into the wall,if i remember rightly.:smile:

Mullets,box jackets with the sleeves rolled,up leather trousers...sooo 1980's!:becool: :laugh:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
What does my hometown mean to me? Pretty much everything. My Mum's here. My lifelong friends are mostly here. We've got a cracking castle with its dark history of hanging too many innocent people. The Lake District isn't far away, nor are the Yorkshire Dales, and the Forest of Bowland, and the flat-lands of the Fylde coast and of course Morecambe Bay... all places I appreciate more having cycled them. What's not to like? :rolleyes:

GetFatty

Über Member
Yes,it was landfill before...i think. The name of the road will come to me...eventually.:smile:

I'd try that Google map,where you can move it around the streets to find stuff,but i'm not very good at maneuvering the thingy bit around.:laugh:

Did you ever go to the 'El Tropicano' club on Sunday nights?^_^

Plastic palm trees and fish tanks built into the wall,if i remember rightly.:smile:
Go to El Tropicana? It was Jimmy’s after hours place. I even spent a couple of years as a bouncer there before I moved to Blueberries. It was a very strange place

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Go to El Tropicana? It was Jimmy’s after hours place. I even spent a couple of years as a bouncer there before I moved to Blueberries. It was a very strange place
Blueberries. I'd forgot about that place.

You'd be too young for the Nelson Imp' then? I think it closed about 1975 and burnt down in 1978...according to some extra oldies that told me. It was before my time,but according to the extra oldies they had some famous singers and bands perform there.

By the way,there's a 78 year old bloke i talk to up the local park. He has a 'lady friend' in Nelson. Although he has a bus pass he says he prefers to walk there...and sometimes walk back! From Great Harwood to Nelson and back he says it's about 28 miles and takes about 9 hours!:ohmy:

Last edited:

GetFatty

Über Member
Blueberries. I'd forgot about that place.

You'd be too young for the Nelson Imp' then? I think it closed about 1975 and burnt down in 1978...according to some extra oldies that told me. It was before my time,but according to the extra oldies they had some famous singers and bands perform there.

By the way,there's a 78 year old bloke i talk to up the local park. He has a 'lady friend' in Nelson. Although he has a bus pass he says he prefers to walk there...and sometimes walk back! From Great Harwood to Nelson and back he says it's about 28 miles and takes about 9 hours!:ohmy:
Yep the Imp had gone by the time I was about 6 or 7. There were some very big names played the Imp. According to one website the Beatles, the Who, Dusty Springfield played there. Nelson was a very rich town at one time. My dad used to call it arrogant cos Burnley had Colne Road, Colne had Burnley Rd but that wasn’t grand enough for Nelson which had Manchester, Leeds and Scotland Rds
Good to hear the oldies think nothing of walking. My dad used to walk to Keighley watch the RL and then walk back

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
Hmmm. My home town represents safety and diversity. It's a safe town that offers a diverse population demographic and a diverse architectural environment. Important for raising open minded, secure and intelligent children. It's also centrally located being within 30 minutes of Manhattan giving me easy access to music, restaurants and museums. In addition we are only 4 to 5 hours away from the Northern Adirondacks and 2 to 3 hours away from Long Beach Island (Jersey Shore) during peak season. And I am about 1/4 mile away from a 2,000 acre park that has hiking trails and offers some of the best mountain biking in the state (sssshhhh, don't tell anyone. Biking on trails is illegal).

I lived in my birth city for 52 years until I moved in nov 2019. Big decision to move as leaving elderly parents, but as season ticket holders at LCFC we planned on returning fortnightly during the season and regularly in the summer. We knew we would miss the three F's, family, friends and football, but covid has put paid to all of that. Now live in a lovely place 6 miles from Cromer, but with all the lockdowns since moving not really made many new friends, but would never want to move back to Leicester.

cheshirerob

Where I live.......
1610660638015.jpeg

On the plus side, numerous never ending country lanes that you can cycle for hours with low volumes of traffic. Triffic 🙌🏻

On the whole Wolverhampton's a bit of a sh*thole but it's where I'm from so that's how it is.

I grew up in the real rough part but luckily managed to move to 'the other side of town' as it's referred to so not bad, couple of miles to the Shropshire border and local boozer that's a proper old geezers pub about 100yds away.

Plus the jewel in the crown, Wolverhampton Wanderes football club, what more could a fella want.^_^

I grew up on the Wirral - in Moreton - not far from where Chris Boardman lived ( some people on here MAY have heard of him )

When I was a teenager I probably rode most of the roads on that peninsular -I just generally wandered all over and then worked out where the hell I might be when I started to get tired/hungry (teenage boy - guess which mattered!!!)

I now live in Widnes for $reasons -but occasionally go over to visit my Mums grave and always, if I can, drive round Moreton. It may be a bit rubbish and not have much to recommend it but I grew up there and it taught me about people in some ways and it feels like one kind of home
but then so does Llandudno - even though I only lived there for about 3 years - but it was a critical time
other places where lived for longer are less relevant
it all depends on the significance

Widnes has some strange smells - but I love many things about it

Top Bottom