What does your home town/location mean to you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was brought up in Winchester from the age of three until I was eighteen. It used to be a quiet market town. I was quite happy. In 1967 (I think), the railway line to London got electrified, and quite quickly the City slickers moved in. My mother described them as " Gin and Jags" . My sister still lives about five miles from the city and it's very pleasant out there in the countryside but I find the city itself quite alarmingly smug.

What does my hometown mean to me? Pretty much everything. My Mum's here. My lifelong friends are mostly here. We've got a cracking castle with its dark history of hanging too many innocent people. The Lake District isn't far away, nor are the Yorkshire Dales, and the Forest of Bowland, and the flat-lands of the Fylde coast and of course Morecambe Bay... all places I appreciate more having cycled them. What's not to like? :rolleyes:
Must visit again.
Always seemed curiously small to me for a county town.
And shame on you for not mentioning the nearby promised land of the rlbble valley.

GetFatty

Über Member
Check my last post again. I've added to it!👍

Edit...Can You remember the open air baths and the stock car track in Nelson?
Yep used to hate the baths, they were freezing! My brother in law took over the indoor baths building as a furniture storage place too. I also remember the stock car track, as I say a thriving town at one point

GetFatty

Über Member
One thing I’m noticing from this thread is how much people moved around. I was born in the house I left when I was 23, a lot of my childhood friends still live in Nelson. Is this a northern thing?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I left my hometown nearly 51 years ago , just after finishing my military service in 1970. When I go there now, it has changed a lot, even the train station of my time is gone, to be replaced with a very modern looking one. The town centre has not changed much as it was all rebuilt after WW2 but the town has expanded much, absorbing all the local villages with no green areas in between.
The house where I grew up till 1962 is still there as it was in the old part of the town. Then we moved in a high rise flat ( 10th floor) not far from the station and I was happy there until I moved to the UK.
What is the town you may ask? Some of you may know already: Orleans, on the river Loire. All four of my brothers still live within 25 miles of the town.
Made in Orleans

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hmmm. My home town represents safety and diversity. It's a safe town that offers a diverse population demographic and a diverse architectural environment. Important for raising open minded, secure and intelligent children. It's also centrally located being within 30 minutes of Manhattan giving me easy access to music, restaurants and museums. In addition we are only 4 to 5 hours away from the Northern Adirondacks and 2 to 3 hours away from Long Beach Island (Jersey Shore) during peak season. And I am about 1/4 mile away from a 2,000 acre park that has hiking trails and offers some of the best mountain biking in the state (sssshhhh, don't tell anyone. Biking on trails is illegal).
I've got Family in Belfast, PA, a tiny town north of Nazareth (where the guitars come from) and not far from the NJ border. I visited them in 2011 and guess the closest i got to your neck of the woods would have been the Delaware Water Gap. It really is a beautiful part of the world. I'd love to get back there one day.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Must visit again.
Always seemed curiously small to me for a county town.
And shame on you for not mentioning the nearby promised land of the rlbble valley.
To be fair, it is in Bowland.

Preston is the county town these days, but i know what you mean.

byegad

Legendary Member
I was born in Middlesbrough. I left 52 years ago. Enough said!

I now live in an ex-mining village, open country is 200 yds from my front door.

I'd turn down a huge amount of cash if it meant I had to go back.

stephec

Legendary Member
I had never heard of my present home town until I applied for a job here. Now I love the place, easy to get either to the sea or lake district, friendly people, a view from the kitchen window city-dwellers would pay £££££ for, and, normally, good pubs.
From memory is it Ulverston?

I can't believe you'd never heard of the birthplace of Stan Laurel. 😄

And you've not even mentioned that you've got a Booth's as well.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yep used to hate the baths, they were freezing! My brother in law took over the indoor baths building as a furniture storage place too. I also remember the stock car track, as I say a thriving town at one point
I never tried the outdoor baths. I don't do cold water. :stop: I remember the stock car track vaguely. It must've been the mid/late 1960's when we went. I suppose there'll be old photos of both places on a Nelson social media page somewhere.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I also remember the stock car track,

1610761229414.png

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Nelson.htm

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I grew up, mostly, just to the East of Norwich. Been back a few times and currently residing on the outskirts. Not sure how long for.
I have good cycling on the NCN not too many yards away and can get out to nice countryside very quickly.

I have lived all over, as a bit of a nomad. Not sure if I will stay or no. I don’t love it, but then, I don’t dislike it either. There are worse places to live.

Top Bottom