What does your home town/location mean to you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was born in Middlesbrough. I left 52 years ago. Enough said!

I now live in an ex-mining village, open country is 200 yds from my front door.

I'd turn down a huge amount of cash if it meant I had to go back.
You mean to say you're not Yorkshire born!

byegad

Legendary Member
You mean to say you're not Yorkshire born!
ERR HMMM!
Indeed I am, The County Borough of Middlesbrough was part of the North Riding of Yorkshire. I could* have played cricket for the county and my Scout Uniform had a North Riding Rose on it. My old man was part of the Green Howards Home Guard and he was born three streets away from where we lived.
*Except I was useless at cricket.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was dragged up on the Wirral which has many beautiful and interesting areas.
Got married in 1968 and MrsD moved there. My miserable Dad made it clear that in his opinion it would never work and never made her welcolme.
12 months later we moved to Warrington where MrsDs parents went out of there way for me.....I always loved them.
Warrington WAS a lovely market town until they made it a 'new town' and destroyed its character.
1969 population was 60, 000
2020 population is approx 250.000 :eek:
But, its been good to me/us.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hometown where I was born; Dartford, Kent means nothing to me. It was just my birth place and the hospital (West Hill) is long gone I believe.

Hometown where we now live; tiny village in SE Lakes, Cumbria. Rain notwithstanding it is absolute bliss. Being 'outdoorsy' we have everything we need on our doorstep. It is also manana-ville. Locals are friendly, a tad stand-offish to start and they have a different sense of humour to Southerners but that's no biggie. All the animals that live around the house are lovely too! Also, it is far from the madding crowd and we can avoid all the trendy clothes required in the cities and we can also avoid many societal trends that are a mystery to us!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
For a long time now (30 years), I've had no family ties to the place where I was brought up, and where I lived till I was 18. since then, I've lived in various parts of the UK and Spain. Been here now for nearly 19 years. Moved here for a job (which I left nearly 2 yrs ago). Kids have all grown up and moved, me and the missus split, though she lives nearby, and we are on reasonable terms. So my reasons for being here have gone, but it is the longest I've lived anywhere, and I really love it. As I get older, I am planning to retire here, and stick with what I have grown to love.

johnblack

Über Member
Still live where I was born, my kids went to the same primary and secondary schools I went to. I still have plenty of friends who I went to school with, and all our kids are friends. Lots move away but loads most seems to end up coming back. I do have quite an attachment to living here, there's a lot of history and the real old boys have so many stories about how it was going back generations, I'll probably be one of those in another few years. I feel a bit sorry for the kids because it is fairly expensive due to it's location and they will struggle to stay around here.

I have absolutely no attachment to the local towns, mean absolutely nothing to me.

gbb

Legendary Member
I spent most of my young life a military family vagrant, born in Cornwall, many years in various parts of Lincolnshire, my favourite teenage years in Nottinghamshire, now in Peterborough for the last 40 years roughly.
Peterborough has no sense of community any more, its just a sprawling series of urban areas.
Many of the old big good employers have long gone leaving a desert of mega sized distribution depots that have low quality jobs.
The one good thing is you probably only have to travel 4 miles maximum from almost any part of town and you're in the countryside.

Perhaps only spending short periods (2, 3 maybe 5 years at the most) in any area means you don't have that deep, long term friendship with kids you grew up with so you become a bit disconnected with your surroundings. Peterborough means nothing to me.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
While I have some favourite locations, I've come to the conclusion the favourite location I have is where my family is and where I call home. Now granted, I haven't lived in any less desirable places so I've been really fortunate, so maybe that's why I haven't got a really particular close attachment.

Each place I've lived at has a mixture of beauty, life stage, self development and fortunate locations. At a simple level, living in Sheffield, I had access to the Peak District as well as the hills and my youth. In Nottinghamshire I had some lovely countryside and villages and really grew up as an adult. Out here in the States, there is some outstanding natural beauty as well, just in a different way. I live in Massachusetts which has so many parks and reservations within easy reach. Even after 30 years, I can still find new trails to cycle or walk on (getting harder, but I'm finding I can do it!).

So to answer the question: if "home town/location" means where you are from originally, yes, I do look back very favourably at Sheffield and its environs. If "home town/location" means my current home town, I also look very favourably at it, though I think that's because where my wife and kids are, as well as ready access to loads of parks and reservations. While I enjoy Massachusetts, it's the longest time I've ever stayed in one place, and if it were not for my kids and in-laws, I would have moved many many years ago!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The Merrie England but I think that’s shut now
Taken down stone by stone (the stones were worth summat) about 8 years ago. It's last use was a Vietnamese cannabis farm,then it started to fall to pieces. Now it's a fenced off brown site,where many trees have sprouted up.

1611841067289.png

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11080350.19th-century-great-harwood-pub-demolished/

Last edited:
It's still there. Possibly the oldest pub in Great Harwood. I worked behind the bar of that pub from 1987 to 1989,when it was a Bass Brewery owned pub. They sold Stones xx( bitter.:thumbsdown:
I was well below drinking age when I happily had the run of the place. If i'd been slipped some stones my drinking career would probably have never started. We do seem to keep narrowly missing each other though. Must be fate.

Top Bottom