What does your home town/location mean to you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I’m from Nelson in Lancashire.
I kind of lived in Nelson on and off in the early to late 1980's. When i say lived my girlfriend at the time bought a flat in the town and although she didn't live there we spent time together there. I wish i could remember the name of the road where the flat was.🤔 You went up Railway Street,past the Trafalgar pub(i spent quite a few good nights in there) then turned right.

GetFatty

Über Member
I kind of lived in Nelson on and off in the early to late 1980's. When i say lived my girlfriend at the time bought a flat in the town and although she didn't live there we spent time together there. I wish i could remember the name of the road where the flat was.🤔 You went up Railway Street,past the Trafalgar pub(i spent quite a few good nights in there) then turned right.
Waidshouse Rd? I lived on the other side of the small valley. Didn’t often go in the Traf, I went in a club called Jimmy’s for my formative years but some of my mates went in the Traf.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I left my hometown nearly 51 years ago , just after finishing my military service in 1970. When I go there now, it has changed a lot, even the train station of my time is gone, to be replaced with a very modern looking one. The town centre has not changed much as it was all rebuilt after WW2 but the town has expanded much, absorbing all the local villages with no green areas in between.
The house where I grew up till 1962 is still there as it was in the old part of the town. Then we moved in a high rise flat ( 10th floor) not far from the station and I was happy there until I moved to the UK.
What is the town you may ask? Some of you may know already: Orleans, on the river Loire. All four of my brothers still live within 25 miles of the town.

GetFatty

Über Member
That sounds familiar,but it's not the address of her flat. If i remember i'll post it.
There aren’t any other right turns as far as I recall unless you go up Waidshouse for a bit and turn off

Just remembered something less fun, my nose was broken for the first time on Railway St At St Bedes church. I caught up with the last of the guys responsible about 4 years (and 4 stone and a black belt) later in the Lord Nelson (aka the Zoo)

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There aren’t any other right turns as far as I recall unless you go up Waidshouse for a bit and turn off
Heck,it's 30 odd years since i was there,so i might not be right about this. As you pass the Trafalgar going up Railway Street,go about 70 yards,turn right,then turn first left after about 30 yards. The cul de sac estate is there. My girlfriend's (well lady friend really as she was 14 years older than me:smile:) flat was at the top of the small estate. It was built in 1983,so what was there before i don't know.

GetFatty

Über Member
Heck,it's 30 odd years since i was there,so i might not be right about this. As you pass the Trafalgar going up Railway Street,go about 70 yards,turn right,then turn first left after about 30 yards. The cul de sac estate is there. My girlfriend's (well lady friend really as she was 14 years older than me:smile:) flat was at the top of the small estate. It was built in 1983,so what was there before i don't know.
I wasn’t being picky, I had to check. Her flat was at the top of the old landfill 😊
It’s 30 years since I left

Top Bottom