What does your home town/location mean to you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I was at a talk the other night about this project - https://www.myheritagetrail.com/ Though it's based in NE England I think they'd welcome input from anywhere in the world. The idea is to map a route in your area highlighting things that are of interest to you. The speaker very much stressed the importance of personal connections.

Might be something you might want to use to express your interest.

i left my home town to be with my partner. was one of the hardest things i've ever done, leaving family, friends and a wonderful area behind.
the new town isn't too bad, still have the sea nearby, some good history and something of a community (although i've yet to make many friends🤔)
the town i left had all this but on steroids, just a great place and getting more and more popular by the year. everyone wants to be there, and i left :laugh: it's about an hr drive back so not the end of the world, i get to visit.

i left my home town to be with my partner. was one of the hardest things i've ever done, leaving family, friends and a wonderful area behind.
the new town isn't too bad, still have the sea nearby, some good history and something of a community (although i've yet to make many friends🤔)
the town i left had all this but on steroids, just a great place and getting more and more popular by the year. everyone wants to be there, and i left :laugh: it's about an hr drive back so not the end of the world, i get to visit.
got to ask where this wonderful place you left is, even if you want to stay schtum on where you are now.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Most of my neighbours are related so there is very little anti-social behaviour.

Some idiot moved in and tried to tell people where they could park their cars. Then he realized that a few dozen members of their extended families lived on the same street. He didn't stay long.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I left my "home" town of Manchester at 17 and of course still have a soft spot for it, but from a distance I can see its problems and scars with more clarity so I don't love it unconditionally. It's always nice to go back, but I've not been tempted to return for good - too much crime, not enough work in my niche.

I've been nomadic pretty much ever since, moving to where my work is, never really considering anywhere to be "my" home. Although I've now been in my present town for 8 years so it's the closest I've been to calling somewhere home; Somehow I still don't quite feel any connection, it's a really nice town but it's full of really terrible people (think the modern version of the 80's "yuppies" - very well off, all driving big German and British sport 4WDs with silly vanity plates, beards, ironic flat caps, arrogance, everyone works in London) and for some reason I don't think I'll ever really feel happy living among all that.

Sorry, way too negative! To be positive, I do love the surrounding countryside, I like the old market square and some of the history, there are nice places to eat. It's really safe. There is a lot to like, I just don't like a lot of the people.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'm not a fan of the town that is my 'home town'. I now live 6 miles away and much prefer it there. BUT I lived in York for 8 years and much prefer it there, so much so that I'd gladly move back there.

But my friends are around where I live now so I'll probably stay here.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My home town, as in the place I was born and brought up, is South Shields. I left there 53 years ago, aged 20. On the odd occasion I visit the place, I have no desire to move back, it is now very rundown with no decent shops or places of entertainment. Council have wrecked the town centre with a series of ill conceived redevelopment schemes. Coast is still attractive. Have lived in various countries and towns, since leaving, now retired and living in an ex-mining village (Boldon Colliery), only about 4 miles from where I started. We are on the edge of the urban area with open countryside within walking/cycling distance.

Venod

Eh up
I live about 3 mile from where I was born, but it is a different town, its not perfect, like all town centres it could be better and it has potential, we have a castle and history but it is not promoted enough, its always been a very sociable community, it was a mining town and still has the close feel of such a community although it is expanding at an alarming rate, I have lived here for twice as long as my home town and much prefer it, but the following won't go down well with some people and the only ones who will probably understand it are fellow Yorkshire men, I don't understand the feeling completely, but I am immensely proud to born and breed a Yorkshireman.

Last edited:

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I have gradually ended up in the Dartford area (Stone to be exact). But don't let anyone give the "dirty Dartford" spiel, it really is alright, there's a lot of local history (in past times it had the highest number of pubs in any town) and there are convenient transport links. Plus we can walk into Bluewater in a few minutes woop woop.
As far as cycling goes we can easily be in full on rural settings within 20mins with a superb network of very minor and hilly roads nearby.
However I grew up in Milford-on-Sea in Hampshire. Its funny, but I don't think you ever get to know a place compared with where you originate from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
I was at a talk the other night about this project - https://www.myheritagetrail.com/ Though it's based in NE England I think they'd welcome input from anywhere in the world. The idea is to map a route in your area highlighting things that are of interest to you. The speaker very much stressed the importance of personal connections.

Might be something you might want to use to express your interest.
My route wouldn’t be very long, just the approximate mile between the castle and Holyrood Palace, perhaps extended at one end to include Greyfriars Kirk and the National Museum, and at the other end to include Holyrood Park. Yes I think that would cover most of my interests :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
I live in a village in sarf Northants.

It's pleasant enough. Handy for access to 2 towns, the railway and the M1. Some reasonable cycling, road and off road.

There's forest on one side of us and farmland on the other, but I have no connection with the place, no emotional attachment. Mrs D isn't local either, its just this place was about midway between us when we got together, so we bought a house here. Soon as she gives the nod that she's joining me in retirement then we're offski.

Top Bottom