What does your significant other think of your cycling hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This has been an interesting thread for sure...I've learned a lot about folks whose posts I've read.
I've been riding bikes for over 60 years ad commuted seriously from 92 on when my job provided lockers and a shower until retiring in 2015.
I've read many books but mostly sci-fi and mysteries but I also enjoyed books that delve into other cultures, a few coming to mind are "The Power of One", "The Chinese Bandit", "Shogun", "Huckleberry Finn"..the list is endless. E books have been great during covid, probably read 40 without leaving the house.
I've got 5 bikes I ride semi regularly and probably that many more I don't. Not only is riding fun, but working on them is almost as good. I have probably bought dozens at garage sales, fixed them up and given them or sold them at cost to family and friends Iwho 5 have 2 10x10 storage garages which house many of them and parts, and 2 sheds I've built next to my house for the five favorites and tools and parts and other stuff. I think I'd be happy in a 1000 sq ft house with a 4000 sq ft garage.
Cycling isn't a hobby for me, it's a way of life. Keeps me sane (ish) and fairly fit for a geriatric. Other tasks permitting I try to get 20 miles in daily, although less when there is snow and ice on the roads. My wife of 42 years and I each get to spend time alone doing things the other doesn't love although there are many things we do together, too. She has stage 4 breast cancer and I find doing most of the daily work is much easier if I can recharge with a ride. We really disliked each other when a former girlfriend who was with her brother put us together so of course we began living together in a few months, then bought a condo and got married. There have been issues over the years but we learned to be partners as well as lovers. I hope I live longer than she will because I don't want her to die from cancer alone.
Good looks fade but not a good heart.
Bikes have been very good to me.

Cycling is such a brilliant safety valve on one's sanity, isn't it? ^_^

No matter how grumpy I'm feeling when I set out, I always come back grinning like a loon.

Delving into a good book is much the same. :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That we have ^_^

The world does feel like a much better place after a bike ride. I've just come back from an hour and a half on gravel trails in the company of Max the MTB, during which I also scrumped some quince pears... :whistle:

One has already been earmarked for tonight's apple crumble. I shall likely be making membrillo with the others - to go with the large wedge of Manchego cheese that's in the fridge.

Now, I'm relaxing with a nice cup of tea and cuddles with a purry, lovey-dovey tortoiseshell cat. Who incidentally was waiting for me on the hall table when I came home.

There we go again..

Separated at birth - Mmm Manchego.

One reason among hundreds that I love Spain.

My kitty caught three mice, in the long grass today.
No slacking on her part just cos its Friday.

Two large sacks of quince from the trees here this year.
But I'm kind of, a bit over, doing much preserving atm ..

Excepting kimchi, of course .

So the quince make their way to our local 'provenance and flavour is all' restaurant for them to process into all sorts of stuff -
Membrillo, will doubtless be one such item on the menu.

Ooops this is turning into homesteading news.. :whistle:

Time for a beer and an autumnal fire now -

happy weekending all.

There we go again..

Separated at birth - Mmm Manchego.

One reason among hundreds that I love Spain.

My kitty caught three mice, in the long grass today.
No slacking on her part just cos its Friday.

Two large sacks of quince from the trees here this year.
But I'm kind of, a bit over, doing much preserving atm ..

Excepting kimchi, of course .

So the quince make their way to our local 'provenance and flavour is all' restaurant for them to process into all sorts of stuff -
Membrillo, will doubtless be one such item on the menu.

Ooops this is turning into homesteading news.. :whistle:

Time for a beer and an autumnal fire now -

happy weekending all.

View attachment 552803

Mmmmm, well I'll be chutneying this weekend. I really need to do something with that crate of green tomatoes... Candied quince is lovely if you've the patience - not difficult to do, though.

My feline gifts today totalled a legless spider and a sucked butterfly. :blush:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Mmmmm, well I'll be chutneying this weekend. I really need to do something with that crate of green tomatoes... Candied quince is lovely if you've the patience - not difficult to do, though.

My feline gifts today totalled a legless spider and a sucked butterfly. :blush:

I've managed to pass on the last few kilos of green tomatoes to the lady up the road who is keen.

I'm mostly planning on cycling and writing this weekend -

- but nope not at the same time. :rolleyes:

Ps I've discovered that quince make great 'nature's own' car air fresheners - they survive quite a battering and give off a lovely aroma.. :smile:

C R

Guru
You have rallies??

:wacko:

Or should that be Raleighs ?? ^_^
My wife has a Raleigh

Like these? Bumper harvest this year on my two trees! Still making membrillo .....
View attachment 552807

Exactly like those! I have a tree, and while it's always laden with blossom, it never fruits... (pollinator issue, most like)

I put one in tonight's apple crumble along with two giant bramleys and two cox's orange pippin. Just so totally lush! :hungry: Especially with lashings of custard... :blush:

Top Bottom