What does your significant other think of your cycling hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Forgot to mention, the bit my mum likes about my cycling is that I go foraging. You spot all sorts of comestibles when you're out on the bike that you'd miss when you're driving a car... :blush:

So far this autumn, I've had hazelnuts (not a good year for them though), apples, quince pears, meddlars, blackberries by the bucketload and pushing 25 kilos of walnuts. Umm, and three walnut saplings to boot. Thank goodness for the hybrid and the panniers!

They're starting to lift potatoes and onions around here, so there's always the good chance of a few freebies if a trailer is overfull and then hits a pothole... :whistle:

Medlars? I'm not even sure I'd recognise one.

medlar-fruits-2x.jpg

They are something of an acquired taste though, and you have to blet them (let them go really squishy) prior to use. I can take them or leave them, but mum is particularly fond of them.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Forgot to mention, the bit my mum likes about my cycling is that I go foraging. You spot all sorts of comestibles when you're out on the bike that you'd miss when you're driving a car... :blush:

So far this autumn, I've had hazelnuts (not a good year for them though), apples, quince pears, meddlars, blackberries by the bucketload and pushing 25 kilos of walnuts. Umm, and three walnut saplings to boot. Thank goodness for the hybrid and the panniers!

They're starting to lift potatoes and onions around here, so there's always the good chance of a few freebies if a trailer is overfull and then hits a pothole... :whistle:
Collected this a couple of days ago. I had been down the road a couple of hours before and it hadn't been there, so I knew it was fresh and it was actually still warm.

I do pick up roadkill all the time, but usually throw it into the hedge as I don't like seeing it getting flatter and flatter on the road over the weeks, seems disrespectful. Badgers weigh a ton though. And I once misjudged throwing a fox over a hedge and it landed on top of the hedge, it was a right mission getting it down from there.

Yesterday I was out collecting some toadflax seeds for my field which I am trying to develop into a wildflower meadow.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
On a rather dull social observation note, I have noticed that chaps are rather better at ring fencing their 'me' or 'me and my mates' time.
It's in the culture for the 'lads' to need to get out, and be active to decompress, but not so much the ladies.

And the fair share of associated spending required.

Many women still seem to think all the house / kids / elder and social care has to be seen to by them, before they get a look in for themselves -
- trouble is all that stuff is never totally 'done' and if someone else won't take some if it on ..

And then they get out of the habit of going out at all, if they ever had it.

Plus I've also noticed - in life and on t'internet that there are still many females afraid of going out by themselves due to the (vanishingly low) risk of 'stranger' danger -
- its a fear learnt by / taught to many young girls from an early age.

I've lost count of the number of women that I've had to reassure that wildcamping by oneself is far safer statistically than crossing the road.

Thankfully there now seem to be a lot more women going out doing their thing with encouragement from like minded souls, long may it continue :smile:

C R

Guru
Collected this a couple of days ago. I had been down the road a couple of hours before and it hadn't been there, so I knew it was fresh and it was actually still warm.
View attachment 552873

I do pick up roadkill all the time, but usually throw it into the hedge as I don't like seeing it getting flatter and flatter on the road over the weeks, seems disrespectful. Badgers weigh a ton though. And I once misjudged throwing a fox over a hedge and it landed on top of the hedge, it was a right mission getting it down from there.

Yesterday I was out collecting some toadflax seeds for my field which I am trying to develop into a wildflower meadow.
What does the owner of the field over the hedge think of having roadkill dumped on their crop? Calling the council to collect the carcass might be a better option.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
What does the owner of the field over the hedge think of having roadkill dumped on their crop? Calling the council to collect the carcass might be a better option.
Give me some credit. I usually throw into the hedge, so in effect, it's at the side of the road, just not on the road. The council wouldn't be in the slightest bit interested in collecting carcasses of hedgehogs, squirrels and the like. The fox I mentioned was thrown over a hedge into some scrubland.

View attachment 552873

I'm rather assuming that went into the crock pot with a glug of red wine, some onions, garlic, carrot, celery, bay and a few juniper berries... :whistle:

snorri

Legendary Member
Musings on a dull Saturday in relation to cycling and significant others.
I stopped to offer assistance to a cyclist with a broken down bike at the roadside this afternoon. He politely thanked me for stopping and said he had called his wife and she would be along very soon. As I got back on my way I realised this had been the response on two previous occasions when I'd offered assistance. This caused my thoughts to wander, as a single guy with no 'phone, it made me wonder if I should be cycling beyond walking distance from home. If I'd had a wife and 'phone, would she have come to my rescue that time I was immobilised with a front axle problem in an unpronouncable village in the Czech Republic some three weeks into a tour with no particular destination in mind? Or perhaps more importantly would I ever have been cycling in the Czech Rep if I'd had a wife?
Aye, it makes you wonder.:whistle:

Top Bottom