What does your significant other think of your cycling hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

I would say "normal"...whatever that is:laugh:
I tend to build a new bike every 2 years or so.My latest build,the Ti Lynskey linked in my signature came in around the £5.5k mark-ish.I've recently downsized from 5 bikes to 2 too.I don't actually add up how much I spend per annum,taking into account bike,clothes,bits,traveling expenses/cycling holidays etc,anymore:okay:I built the Ti bike with a view to keeping it a long time so less outlay.......but.......I'm thinking about another build project already:laugh:
It is what it is.At least I have something to show for the outlay..well that's my argument:okay: when the missus complains:okay:
(NB If money was a problem I would spend accordingly!)
How do you afford all this bike spending? I think I probably spent 1.5k-2k on bike stuff including my bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you afford all this bike spending? I think I probably spent 1.5k-2k on bike stuff including my bike.
How do you think adults afford nice things? :scratch:
In my case, a well paid job, no mortgage now and most of all, no children bleeding me dry :whistle:
Personally I couldn't justify a 5k bike, although I could happily and afford one...total replacement of my 5 bikes would be well north of that though :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Like others I don't just buy bikes, parts, etc. but also sell them on.

This year I've bought a bike (last Sunday), a frame and a few other things plus multiple wheels and other parts. My spending's reined back as I'm mostly happy with what I have presently but will be £2-3k a year. Son's spending is probably £3-4k a year but he races at multiple levels.

However ... I've also sold about £1.5-2k's of parts, bikes and other items. So the balance is generally OK.

Race entries and travel to races are another big cost. Cancellation of UK / international races has meant we've spent about £4k less than planned for my son. My entries cost about £1k a year for track / hillclimb / TT / audax including travel and other costs.

However, I don't smoke, drink alcohol or do other expensive activities. My wife's got her hobbies and we're usually fine about costs. I've a good job and earn a decent amount; by commuting to work for almost 10 years I've saved way more than I have spent.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Mrs Chris thinks I'm a bit metal for going out on long/tough 3hr+ rides, even more so going off-road and getting covered in mud and occasionally going arse over tit off my bike.

She does probably have a fair point when she say I bang on about bikes and cycling a bit much sometimes.

But she does like it when I'm able to true her wheel or fit her a new freewheel & chain on her commuting bike :smile:

Fortunately I'm much stingier than she is so despite having what she would consider to be too many bikes, it's not a financial sticking point.

Cycling's a relatively harmless and unobjectionable hobby, surely?

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Once you get into your 50s you get "free money" you didn't realise you had:okay:
As said upthread no Mortgage,kids etc,etc.Things just start to get easier(if you're lucky)I also shoot(Air guns) and they're not cheap BUT I don't go out boozing 4 or 5 times a week(I did until my 30s),I quit smoking 40-a day 20 years ago and we both have decent enough jobs.
I will add that non of my bikes/guns is on credit either.Building a bike to my own specifications might cost more than buying off peg but as I do it over a period of a few months the outlays are smaller:okay:
I took some very good advice in my late teens/early 20s.Plan ahead and don't spend more than you need to!

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Like others I don't just buy bikes, parts, etc. but also sell them on.

This year I've bought a bike (last Sunday), a frame and a few other things plus multiple wheels and other parts. My spending's reined back as I'm mostly happy with what I have presently but will be £2-3k a year. Son's spending is probably £3-4k a year but he races at multiple levels.

However ... I've also sold about £1.5-2k's of parts, bikes and other items. So the balance is generally OK.

Race entries and travel to races are another big cost. Cancellation of UK / international races has meant we've spent about £4k less than planned for my son. My entries cost about £1k a year for track / hillclimb / TT / audax including travel and other costs.

However, I don't smoke, drink alcohol or do other expensive activities. My wife's got her hobbies and we're usually fine about costs. I've a good job and earn a decent amount; by commuting to work for almost 10 years I've saved way more than I have spent.
I don't smoke, drink or have any expensive activities- except my bike spending but a bit limited on student maintenance...I could get a job but workload in uni is quite a lot more this year. So Im trying to control it..yet I've spent 60 quid today on a merino wool long sleeve jersey, on sale of course. And I don't have a car nor a driving licence.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Once you get into your 50s you get "free money" you didn't realise you had:okay:
As said upthread no Mortgage,kids etc,etc.Things just start to get easier(if you're lucky)I also shoot(Air guns) and they're not cheap BUT I don't go out boozing 4 or 5 times a week(I did until my 30s),I quit smoking 40-a day 20 years ago and we both have decent enough jobs.
I will add that non of my bikes/guns is on credit either.Building a bike to my own specifications might cost more than buying off peg but as I do it over a period of a few months the outlays are smaller:okay:
I took some very good advice in my late teens/early 20s.Plan ahead and don't spend more than you need to!
Any tips for saving money and not bankrupting myself to have a nice budget for bike stuff..?

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Mrs D loves my hobby. Sometimes we role play - im the hapless cyclist who has been knocked off his bike by a sexy dominatrix, who then abducts my unconscious form and takes me to her dungepn where she does unspeakably kinky things to [NEXT 12 PAGES OF FILTH DELETED BY MODS]
Well at least now we know your marriage is alive :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any tips for saving money and not bankrupting myself to have a nice budget for bike stuff..?

Look after your bike. Saves the scary bills. I got 3 of my current bikes whilst still living at home waaay before 'girls' - I still have the bikes 30 years later. My best bike was money no object - top spec everything, handbuilt frame/wheels, then all Dura Ace kit. I still have the bike and it's a delight to ride.

I've also mid spec road bike (old), an old MTB and a newer MTB that I bought more recently. That costs a bit to keep going in wear and tear parts. I tend to keep my bikes but look after them, so if it's worn, the part is replaced/repaired. It's all the other kit though like clothes/shoes etc. Road bikes are far easier/less time consuming than looking after a full suspension MTB - neglect that and you could have a £300 rear shock bill, or £500 plus for a new fork.

Oh and if you end up filthy, do rinse the mud off your kit before it goes in the washing machine and destroys that too. :ohmy:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Boring answer - in the periods of my life when my income was low I would delay any significant purchase by a few days, never buying on impulse. Very often it turned out I didn't need whatever it was, just wanted it at that moment.

Now I have savings I ask myself if something will give me lasting pleasure - if the answer is yes I buy it. I have a nice bike and a crappy car!

Reactions: C R

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
It's hard.My daughter is a 19yo Student and even with our help she will start her working life with a huge debt.You have to learn to live within your means as much as possible.Harder now than 30 years ago I think.I work with young lads who are in their 20s who are driving about in £40/50K cars that they're "leasing" for £500+ per month..it's crazy!It's all for show but it seems it's the done thing now.Owning a brand new Range Rover or Merc when I was 22 was living in dreamland:ohmy::laugh:
My advice is to buy the cycling stuff you can afford and not worry to much whether your bike is worth £500 or £5000!

Top Bottom