What does your significant other think of your cycling hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

In many years to come I hope to crack the 'multiple bike' argument with the other half. Its only been 22 years so far.
How many bikes do you have?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My wife's N+1 with sewing machines is more than mine - I need to balance that out. She has 2 computerised sewing/embroidery machines (very expensive), 3 overlockers (one computerised), 1 freehand quilting sewing machine and one bog standard sewing machine.

Flipping heck that's SEVEN. I'm three behind. Oh and she has two bikes, so make that FIVE down. :laugh:

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

@oreo_muncher I don't think you are getting it!

For many people, me included, being alone is just fine.

Alone is not the same as lonely.
Lonely is not the same as solitude.

Please, please, please tell all your mates to let us quiet people be!
Thanks for explaining :okay: I spend a lot of alone time, not out of choice but because of covid and not being home most of the time, but I get a bit sad and lonely after a while when I have no one to talkto or share my ideas with. I also prefer cycling with someone, rather than by myself. But you enjoy your quiet time, a bit envious that you're all fine being by yourself.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Very insightful answer.:thumbsup: Yes, I was referring to audax riders there :laugh: I don't think I'll ever be a morning person though, to go on a bike ride starting at 6am! What about those 300km+ bike rides where you'll gone all day or 2 days even!?

Once a year for those 400,600km rides. I might do two 400km rides but most years it’s just once a year. A 300km ride is a long day. Again usually once a year. It’s a 600 that takes you out all weekend. A 400 is 24 hours, unless travelling far to it, so you lose one day and part of the morning after when you sleep. Plus of course a big event. My wife likes running events so I make sure to support her at those and we compare diaries to avoid clashes.

So 300,400,600 that is 2 Saturday’s and one full weekend a year. Plus up to a another week if I’m doing a big audax event. A 200 is out all day but again not every weekend and at most once a month if doing RRTY. In the months I do a 300, 400 or 600 I don’t do a 200. I don’t do RRTY every year, I’ve done it twice in a decade.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's much more difficult if you've got kids, so you are best commuting by bike to fit it in. Loads of extra time pressures with 'iccle' ones around - I did a lot less when mine were small - both 17-19 now so not an issue.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Thanks for explaining :okay: I spend a lot of alone time, not out of choice but because of covid and not being home most of the time, but I get a bit sad and lonely after a while when I have no one to talkto or share my ideas with. I also prefer cycling with someone, rather than by myself. But you enjoy your quiet time, a bit envious that you're all fine being by yourself.
No problem.😁 I understand.

I had a short first marriage which taught me that it was better to get to know, accept and like myself before I became involved with someone again, and then to be open and honest with them.

My partner of 30 years knows exactly what I spend, and let's me know if it's an issue, as they would if I started to put cycling ahead of our relationship. The bare truth isn't always comfortable, but it I find it sooo much simpler than playing games.

Good luck!

johnblack

Über Member
I ride a fair bit with my two mates, this includes all day and multi day rides. Our wives happen to be very good friends and use or cycling excursions as a way of getting away for the weekend, do some shopping and meet us in the evening. They haven't done a foriegn trip with us yet, but they've been pushing for an invite to Gent for Flanders weekend. I think that may be a step too far.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
What's your bike spending like?
I would say "normal"...whatever that is:laugh:
I tend to build a new bike every 2 years or so.My latest build,the Ti Lynskey linked in my signature came in around the £5.5k mark-ish.I've recently downsized from 5 bikes to 2 too.I don't actually add up how much I spend per annum,taking into account bike,clothes,bits,traveling expenses/cycling holidays etc,anymore:okay:I built the Ti bike with a view to keeping it a long time so less outlay.......but.......I'm thinking about another build project already:laugh:
It is what it is.At least I have something to show for the outlay..well that's my argument:okay: when the missus complains:okay:
(NB If money was a problem I would spend accordingly!)

Top Bottom