What does your significant other think of your cycling hobby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I bought my wife a nice used hybrid with disc brakes and internal hub gears. She has been out cycling with me weekly and enjoys being out on the bike. 2-3 hours for 20-35 miles is her max at present. Main thing is she is enjoying cycling.

rivers

How far can I go?
As long as I make time for the wife, she's happy. So if I have a ride planned with friends on the weekend, I don't go out on a club run as well. If I do 2 rides in a weekend, one is with her at her pace and the other is a blast either on a club run or with mates. I try to keep my turbo-ing to the nights she either works or does something with her friends (although turbo is generally only an hour). As long as you make time for your other half, they tend to be okay with hobbies. My wife and I spend a lot of quality time with each other, but also away from each other. We will go off on short holidays without each other just because we need a break, not necessarily from each other, but from life.

Mrs Fondo thinks I am mad cycling over the winter, and so do I, very occasionally.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Mrs @BoldonLad joins in with the cycling. So, generally, not a problem. I am probably more "keen", and, I do sometimes stretch the rides out to greater distance than agreed, which sometimes causes slight friction. But, in general, it is a joint hobby, although, we do, on occasions, cycle separately, ie with other friends/acquaintences.

As for spending, we are both "second time around", and, both, previously had financially inept partners, so, we have always operated separate finances. ie A join account (to which we both contribute) for "bills", and, our own current accounts to spend as we wish, although, in practice, we often discuss and agree in advance of spending "significant" sums.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think how your other half feels is very dependent upon how you are when you are around. It’s healthy in even the longest committed relationships for each person to have time apart for their own hobbies , interests and space. It’s healthy to maintain different friendships outside the relationship. But when you are together do you do things such that when you are out cycling, there’s no come back or resentment in any way?

If you are referring to audax riders when you are referring to excessive amounts of time. You have to remember that the mega rides are not every weekend or even every month or even close to that for many of us. Most weekends it’s often no more than a morning or afternoon out on the bike. Longer rides can be fitted in the week if you aren’t tied to 9-5 and so you can be out whilst they are out working. A 100km ride can be be done in 4-5 hours elapsed , so if you get going at 6am you’ll be back 10-11am.

Any relationship where one partner tries to control the other or insists they do everything together or insists they don’t see their friends would raise a few red flags. It’s about partnership, and yes compromise, to make relationships work. But it’s very definitely not about one partner dictating to the other, this is how it’s going to be.

As to my wife she’s not a keen cyclist. But with lockdown forcing her out the gym she’s been cycling more. We have done at least one ride together every week since March. She’s also going out in her own now and again. For instance when I got back from my long overnight ride Sunday morning. She went out for a ride on her own whilst I slept. She enjoys it when there is no pressure. She said she goes faster when I’m not with her. Maybe I’m slowing her down !

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mrs Fondo thinks I am mad cycling over the winter, and so do I, very occasionally.
I got talked out of cycling to work last night as it was dark and drizzly, mind you i did have a rubbish shift with nearly 2 hours overtime so kind of glad they did.
Whole family thinks im bonkers tbh and the only one who understands is the FIL , the rest tend to always be finding reasons for me not to do it and half the time i feel like they would be happy if i packed it in.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
My wife tolerates it but doesn't really "get" it.She believes I spend far too much money on it but I don't tell her exactly how much:okay:
My son(13) also rides with me so she does encourage it.She is not at all keen in Winter when I bring them in the kitchen to tinker with them so I've developed selective deafness:laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom