What else should fish 'n' chip shops sell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
They used to sell "dabs" or something similar sounding around here. If i remember they were sliced potatoes in batter. So we had a dab and chips which is an all potato meal apart from the bit of batter.:tired:
They still do dabs

Anyone ever had a John Bull

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
They're called scallops near us.

Presumably "dabs" as they are similar in size and shape to the fish. They're scallops around here too. Son likes jumbo sausage and scallop as his chippy meal

I remember my Dad used to give me a few pence for chips on the way home from cubs when I was very young. The slightly less affluent kids had to ask for "scraps and gravy" as this was the cheapest thing you could buy. Basically a carton of gravy to which the fryer would add a load of batter bits.

Actually that sounds pretty delicious

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
We used to call the battered potato slices scollops ,
Scrapings were the bits of batter
In 1978 I first went to work in London where I first saw Saveloys , and also then they sold Rock Salmon , which was Dogfish,
In Manchester the chippies sold Barm Cakes, Oldham De Clerks,
Yorkshire way they called them Bread Cakes , Now
Universally known as Muffins
I always rated Hollands Pies /Puddings from Baxendale ,
The Scots used to put pies in with the Chips to cook !
Also , in Scotland I asked in one chippie for fish n chips ,
No , but you can have a Fish Supper ! was the reply ,
I just wish that chippies in London offered Chips n Gravy !!!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've been in a few Chippies that ought to sell Rennies. xx(

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
They're called scallops near us.
When I were a lad in Lincolnshire, scallops were decidedly superior to those described here. A thin slice of fish, presumably trimmings which were too small to serve as they were, sandwiched between two slices of potato, battered and fried.

Nowadays, my local offers two varieties; Peruvian dredged scallops in standard chip shop batter, or hand-dived Hebridean queenies in saffron flavoured tempura.
Obviously I can only afford the latter as an occasional special treat.

Top Bottom