What essential kit should I take on a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

This is what I (usually) take (I say "usually" because sometimes I swap equipment between bikes then forget to put it back on the main bike)...

for short rides around town
inner tube
mini air pump
co2 with working nozzle
two tyre levers
portable rain jacket

for longer rides (or even shorter rides but in the sticks), in addition to above:
another mini air pump
small bag of sweets or nutrition
chain links
puncture patch kit
derailleur hanger
2 x £10 notes

Front and rear lights and a bike computer goes on most rides too along with two water bottles.

Why take two pumps? Chance of puncture, co2 failing AND one pump failing is probably up there with Boris telling the truth!

Assume you also take a multi-tool?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is what I (usually) take (I say "usually" because sometimes I swap equipment between bikes then forget to put it back on the main bike)...

for short rides around town
inner tube
mini air pump
co2 with working nozzle
two tyre levers
portable rain jacket

for longer rides (or even shorter rides but in the sticks), in addition to above:
another mini air pump
small bag of sweets or nutrition
chain links
puncture patch kit
derailleur hanger
2 x £10 notes

Front and rear lights and a bike computer goes on most rides too along with two water bottles.
Why do you vary kit depending on your destination? My saddlebag contains all I need for any ride - 10 miles, 100 miles.

All I have to do is pop it on to the appropriate bike.

mustang1

Guru
Why do you vary kit depending on your destination? My saddlebag contains all I need for any ride - 10 miles, 100 miles.

All I have to do is pop it on to the appropriate bike.
MMmh good point. I think it's because for rides around town, I'm happy enough taking just one tube as I know I'm usually near a bike shop that where I can buy supplies. But for rides into the sticks, I need to be more self sufficient and always carry the additional items.

But it's mainly because on the shorter/town rides, I'm less organised.

mustang1

Guru
Why take two pumps? Chance of puncture, co2 failing AND one pump failing is probably up there with Boris telling the truth!

Assume you also take a multi-tool?
Oh yeah of course, a multi tool.
Some time ago I used an air pump but it was broken so I have this fear (which I suppose I should leave behind).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes. I've seen CO2 inflations go wrong more times than pump-ups.

Some folks I know still carry CO2, but it seems to be a slowly fading trend - it's years since I saw anyone use it. Pumping still a regular sight!
I carry both, as a pump is much better for control, popping a tiny bit in before insertion so it holds it shape, and starting off so everything seats correctly, before the boosch of CO2 to get to decent pressure (25 or 28mm road tyres). For fatter tyres where pressures are lower then a pump alone is probably fine, but getting 80+psi in a road tyre with mini pump takes a lot of elbow grease.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Do people always take an inner tube with them or a repair kit, or both?

I have both in my regular commuting bag. The repair kit is mainly because I might sometimes ride a bike which needs a tube I don't have for- I can't keep every kind of tube in my bag (and neither can I remember to add one if using another bike)

Lozz360

Veteran
I like to carry a framed 8 X 10 oil on canvas of Princess Michael of Kent.

Then if I can't fix the tyre at least I can look at the picture and try and fathom out why she has a man's name.
It's only because she is married to Prince Michael of Kent. In any case it is not a name it is a title. There, you have no need to carry the picture any more. You're welcome.

Jim Cardiff

In addition to the usual tubes levers, pump and multi tool I carry:
a short length of soft wire, a couple of cable ties, a bit of duct tape, one small allen bolt (fits mudguard stay, bottle cages etc etc) and a tyre boot made out of a short bit of old tyre with the bead cut off. The weight and bulk is negligible but these enable emergency repairs for most things

Top Bottom