What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Are you sure those are words you should be typing this far in to the century?
I know where my nearest closed down Blockbusters is, but an actual rental shop...
i thought exactly the same thing... a 'rental' shop sounds as archaic as 'Spangles' these days.

anyway, back on topic... ish. Last night i watched the penultimate episode of series three of Wentworth... blinking bloody norah... talk about gripping!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Platoon - Haven't seen it for ages. Wasn't disappointed, well made, well acted and did a good job of depicting the horrors of the Vietnam war. Full Metal Jacket is still my favourite Vietnam War film, but I've never watched Apocalypse Now.

8.5/10

U

User169

[QUOTE 3761805, member: 259"]We've got a fairly big rental shop near us and they do pretty well. They sell a very good range of beer too! :cheers:[/QUOTE]

Is it the one next to the haberdasher?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Platoon - Haven't seen it for ages. Wasn't disappointed, well made, well acted and did a good job of depicting the horrors of the Vietnam war. Full Metal Jacket is still my favourite Vietnam War film, but I've never watched Apocalypse Now.
8.5/10
Agreed, I've trudged through Apocalypse Now, I don't particularly rate it (particularly as a Vietnam War film). I remember watching Full Metal Jacket at the cinema with a mate who'd just come back from basic training with the Queens Infantry which was a bit annoying as it was filmed in the UK and the training scenes were at ?Bassingbourne? so there was lots of 'there's a telephone box behind that hording' and 'saw that assault course, they said it was too dangerous for us squaddies to have a go on' etc...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[QUOTE 3761805, member: 259"]We've got a fairly big rental shop near us and they do pretty well. They sell a very good range of beer too! :cheers:[/QUOTE]
An excellent plan to increase rentals of those difficult to shift discs, I reckon.

U

User169

Do they have a copy of 'Gone with three sheets to the Wind?' I wonder?

It's on the shelf next to "Some like it hopped".

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Agreed, I've trudged through Apocalypse Now, I don't particularly rate it (particularly as a Vietnam War film). I remember watching Full Metal Jacket at the cinema with a mate who'd just come back from basic training with the Queens Infantry which was a bit annoying as it was filmed in the UK and the training scenes were at ?Bassingbourne? so there was lots of 'there's a telephone box behind that hording' and 'saw that assault course, they said it was too dangerous for us squaddies to have a go on' etc...

I've read that Apocalypse Now isn't really a out-and-out film about the Vietnam war like Platoon is. I've only seen the excellent clip of the Huey's flying in to Wagner's - Ride Of The Valkyries, that has to be the one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a film. It's hard to believe that the film was made that long ago, a bit like Blade Runner in that respect. I must watch it, I obviously need to set out a bit of time for this, even if I'm not that struck on it like yourself, I guess its one of those films you have to watch.

Apocalypse Now is a masterpiece. The Deerhunter stands up well too.

Not quite so sure about Lord Jim, which I watched last night, mainly on account of my love of Peter O' Toole. He was ok, as was the movie, but it wasn't a patch on lawrence, which it was clearly trying to emulate.

I watched the Deer Hunter recently and I wasn't as keen on it as I thought I would be/as I rembered last time I watched it years ago. I still need to watch Apocalypse Now though. I've read mixed things stating that the Redux version is a waste of time. Haven't a clue though.

Top Bottom