What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Carry On Doctor.
Carey On Doctor, Again was the better one. :smile:

AndyRM

XOXO
The Life of David Gayle - 4/10

Tries and fails to make a valid point, ends up as preachy, melodramatic nonsense couple with a 'twist' so glaringly obvious it's almost insulting.

I really like Kevin Spacey too, and it annoys me when his considerable talents are wasted.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
.. Holmes as an action hero and not a super sleuth just isn't Holmes.
In the books, I think he boxes and fences single stick though, as well as having some sort of jiu-jitsu like skill.

We may remember the cerebral stuff, but Holmes as a character could mix it a bit too, as I recall.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Over the weekend I watched;

You're Next
Quite an old fashioned premise, but well put together with a good lead - I liked it.

The Purge
Interesting idea, but it didn't grab me. Worth watching, but I'd not go out of my way with better fare on offer.

Jaws
A bloody classic - I'd forgotten just how good this is, and ended up watching it twice.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In the books, I think he boxes and fences single stick though, as well as having some sort of jiu-jitsu like skill.

We may remember the cerebral stuff, but Holmes as a character could mix it a bit too, as I recall.
agreed, that aspect worked well in the 1st film (especially the opening scene) yet the super-sleuth was central to the character and sleuthing seemed central to the plot... the second film could have been centred around any old 'hero' and failed because it didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes plot (IMHO).

Quick question, re: Jaws.... did you jump both times when the head fell out of the bottom of the boat? Gets me every bloody time that!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
agreed, that aspect worked well in the 1st film (especially the opening scene) yet the super-sleuth was central to the character and sleuthing seemed central to the plot... the second film could have been centred around any old 'hero' and failed because it didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes plot (IMHO).

I agree. I still liked it, but there was a glaring lack of deductive reasoning.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Quick question, re: Jaws.... did you jump both times when the head fell out of the bottom of the boat? Gets me every bloody time that!
Ha! I think first time - what did get me on both watches was the feeling of tension (particularly before young Billy gets chomped) watching the swimmers.

It's just such a well judged film - the bits of humour (when the two lads with the fin surface into that ring of rifles, and the younger one blames the older, Hooper's comic asides) and the way the tension builds (I never imagined that the reappearance of a yellow barrel on the surface would trigger such a feeling of dread).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Lion in Winter. What a movie! Admittedly I'm a massive sucker for anything with Peter O' Toole in, and I consider all the Hepburns deities, but it's not just the performances. The script sizzles with intelligence and wit - and real emotional richness too. And the direction and cinematography know enough to be efficient and non-intrusive, standing back, fly on the wall, as a stupendous story unfolds itself. I could watch it again tomorrow. And yearly from here on in.

Geoffrey: “I know. You know I know. I know you know I know. We know Henry knows, and Henry knows we know it. We're a knowledgeable family.”

and

Eleanor: I adored you. I still do.
Henry II: Of all the lies you've told, that is the most terrible.
Eleanor: I know. That's why I've saved it up until now.

and

Henry II: I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once.

and so many more.

And O' Toole & Hepburn are stupendous.

The Killer.

TBH this was the third time I have seen the film and the crappy dialogue and acting started to grate.

If you have not seen the film then it is a great action/bromance movie.

Top Bottom