What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Calvary (Prime Instant Video)
A priest and good man, is worn down by the spite and nastiness of his parishioners, knowing that he will be killed at the end of the week. A really interesting, at times blackly comic meditation on whether anyone can make a difference in the world, and on the nature of forgiveness. I made the mistake of watching it with Mrs M, who declared it variously "nasty", "daft", "not funny" and "rubbish."

Kung Fu Hustle (Netflix)
Jolly wire-fu nonsense about a fantastist who longs to join the toughest gang around, and a succession of kung fu masters who defeat, and are defeated by the gang and their hirelings. I'm not sure that it's my sort of thing (and assume that there are considerable cultural differences preventing me from appreciating it more) but not bad. My personal choice for set in the not too distant past Kung Fu would be Project A, and this film has done nothing to change that opinion.
I loved Kung Fu Hustle. I recall a review in the independent which summed it up perfectly as "great stupid fun"

JohnnyRoyal

Just finished watching Spotlight
What a great film regarding a difficult subject as well, being a catholic myself.
Great acting, Michael Keaton was great and very written.

AndyRM

XOXO
Calvary (Prime Instant Video)
A priest and good man, is worn down by the spite and nastiness of his parishioners, knowing that he will be killed at the end of the week. A really interesting, at times blackly comic meditation on whether anyone can make a difference in the world, and on the nature of forgiveness. I made the mistake of watching it with Mrs M, who declared it variously "nasty", "daft", "not funny" and "rubbish."

Kung Fu Hustle (Netflix)
Jolly wire-fu nonsense about a fantastist who longs to join the toughest gang around, and a succession of kung fu masters who defeat, and are defeated by the gang and their hirelings. I'm not sure that it's my sort of thing (and assume that there are considerable cultural differences preventing me from appreciating it more) but not bad. My personal choice for set in the not too distant past Kung Fu would be Project A, and this film has done nothing to change that opinion.

Two absolute gems in their own way. Kung Fu Hustle is pleasingly ridiculous and I've yet to see Gleeson in anything I didn't enjoy, he's a fantastic actor.

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
The Gift (2015) watched on Netflix. Neat little thriller with some nicely timed plot revels and twists. 7/10
"You may be done with the past but the past isn't done with you"

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Crank

Showing it's age, or possibly not as good on a second viewing, I think. Still fun, but the stereotypical treatment of race (the occasional philosophical gangster aside) and sexism take the shine off Statham's determinedly obnoxious antiheroics.

From my 14 year old daughter:

The Gift.

I watched this three nights ago with my dad, it's a mystery/thriller film, "The Gift." It is written and directed by Joel Edgerton (Zero Dark Thirty). It tells the story of a married couple and there's this guy that used to go to school with the husband, I thought that he was his friend but it turned out to be that he's a creepy weirdo that stalks them and he voice recorded and video recorded the husband. A bit slow but it gets good 4.5 out of 5. Released in 2015.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Once Upon a Time in Mexico (PVR'ed)
A succession of impressive set pieces joined together by (mostly) risible tough guy dialogue. Reminded me of a slightly less manneredly irritating Tarantino in style.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Snatch (2000)....Jason Statham, Brad Pitt.......I really enjoyed it the first time and still enjoying it the millionth time...8/10
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)....George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson.... always liked this film, some real funny moments plus plenty of subtle homages to Homer's the Odyssey which it is loosely based on........ 7/10
Two films i don't think I'll ever tire of... and i don't think the writers/director of either have done anything better since.

stephec

Legendary Member
We Still Kill The Old Way (2014).....Ian Ogilvy, Alison Doody.....London gangster film with a ridiculous twist, it was watchable but still a poor film which just got worse....3/10

I've got that lined up ready to watch.

Is it one of those modern British style of gangster films where Craig Fairbrass struts round and speaks in a hard voice?

AndyRM

XOXO
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)....George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson.... always liked this film, some real funny moments plus plenty of subtle homages to Homer's the Odyssey which it is loosely based on........ 7/10

An excellent film, but I will always find it difficult to love for one reason: digital colour grading, or digital imaging.

It was the first film to use the technique to alter the pallette of every single scene to turn up the orange and blue tones for maximum contrast. This had been going on in posters for ages, but O Brother was the first to be scanned into a computer and be digitally enhanced this way.

Once you see it, you cannot unsee. Well, you can, but you'll just accept it with a knowing sigh.

stephec

Legendary Member
Spy.

Jason Statham does comedy, and Miranda Hart manages to go through the whole film without falling over or saying, "golly."

Nothing special, but an inoffensive enough way to pass some time if there's nothing else on.

5/10.

Top Bottom