What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Last Stand. Standard Arnie nonsense, and as such quite a lot of fun, despite ridiculous levels of implausibility and dialogue flat as piss on a plate. Climactic scene...

"I say, I completely underestimated you sheriff....You're a helluva lawman...and you don't give up too easy."
"You're right. This is my home."
"Impressive....Impressive."

That's it? That's it. Fast cars, 'wacky' characters and a Vickers machine gun - what's not to like?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I saw Downton Abbey last night at the cinema. I didn't watch the series so I didn't get some of the in-jokes between characters. But it was ok to watch (I went because my partner really wanted to see it). Maggie Smith plays her character very well.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Killing of a Sacred Deer. A really nasty film, which gets quite sinister quite quickly and then just ratchets it up and up and up, with a teen boy who really does have a touch of Satan about him. The kind of film that a lot of people on IMDB hate - many 1/10s. Gets under your skin in a seriously insidious way, and stays with you after the ending. Very well done - but I wouldn't recommend it as such, didn't enjoy it as such, and certainly wouldn't watch it again. 8/10.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rocky IV.

Worth it if only to see the death of the legend that was Apollo Creed, the Count of Monte Fisto!

Trivia - Dolph Lundgren knew how to box, on account of being a European class kickboxer. Stallone made the mistake of asking to fight for real for a few minutes to make it look realistic for the cameras. Lundgren duly obliged, and hit Stallone so hard in the chest that he bruised Stallone's heart. This put Stallone in intensive care for a week and delayed filming, but the insurers initially refused to pay out because they reckoned the injuries were more consistent with a car accident, they were that severe.

In many ways it hasn't aged well and isn't the best of the Rocky films (1 and Balboa jointly take that plaudit), but for fans of the series it's a significant milestone in the life of Rocky and not to be dismissed. Weathers is superbly intense as the wonderfully cocky but likeable Creed and had built the character over 4 consecutive films, and to see his downfall brought about by his own fears of ageing and mortality is a small piece of cinema history.

6/10.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Ad Astra

WARNING- Potential Spoiler alert! :stop:

Don't be fooled by the reviews, ratings or Brad Pitt. It's a fairly run-of-the mill SF with a rather tedious plot about father/son reconciliation spread across the solar system. Despite flashy FX & action set pieces, it's pretty tedious although not as daft as Danny Boyle's Sunshine.

What's wrong?..

The Moon has one-sixth our gravity, so how come everyone on the moonbase is acting like they're in normal gravity?. Even Space 1999 established Moonbase Alpha having artificial gravity!.

No need to build tall masts that Brad Pitt falls off at the start. We have radio telescopes that can do the same job now.

The distress call sequence - boring padding, needless gore.

That was a handy cable he swam along in the underground lake on Mars to get in the rocket just as it took off....yeah...right.

You wouldn't need a nuclear bomb to destroy a ship with anti-matter on board. Conventional explosives would do since once free of a magnetic containment field, anti-matter alone would be a pretty violent explosion. Look up 'warp core breach' in Star Trek.

Exactly how did Tommy Lee Jones survive about 16 years with rations & in zero-G??.

Both Liv Tyler (in movie for about 5 minutes tops) & Donald Sutherland are wasted. Had no empathy with Brad Pitts character. Bit of a one-man disaster area since everyone around him either is seriously injured or killed!.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rocky V.

The undisputed low point of the film series. Starts off well with the human interest stuff, but moves far too quickly into the business with Rocmy's new protege, Tommy Gunn. A high point was the fist fight at the end between Rocky and Tommy Gunn, substitute for the traditional boxing match ending.

Of course, next comes arguably the joint best, Rocky Balboa.

Trivia - Tommy Gunn was played by Tommy Morrison, a real boxer who at one time held one of the heavyweight title belts, albeit he never succeeded in unifying the titles. He was diagnosed as HIV positive in the 90s, but several subsequent tests supposedly showed he was not. The was he/wasnt he question over his HIV status affected his ability to get a boxing licence, and he ended up spending time in prison for repeated drink driving and unlicensed gun possession offences. Sure enough, he eventually died of AIDs, and just before his death he finally conceded he was HIV positive and blamed his hedonistic lifestyle as a young man. Blimey, almost a film script right there!

4/10. Only of interest to Rocky fans, and even then only to maintain the continuity of the Rocky story.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The Snowman, netflix
Bit slow, got the killer nailed quickly..
6/10

AndyRM

XOXO
Sticking with Sly, I went to see Rambo: Last Blood. As long as you accept what you're in for, it's enjoyable, with violence so outrageous it ends up being funny. It's probably the weakest of the series, and given the ending (and title) should be the last which is probably for the best, but it's been a wild ride which I've thoroughly enjoyed.

stephec

Legendary Member
American Assassin.

A Young man sees his fiancee killed in a terrorist attack and sets off on a one man mission for revenge, this brings him to the attention of the CIA who decide to recruit him.

It's got one of the most hilariously over the top endings that I've seen for ages.

y/10.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Joker. Joaquin Phoenix plays a really good part and it was enjoyable. I wouldn't go overboard like some people and say it was the best film ever though. It was a bit crazy. 7/10

Drago

Legendary Member
Rocky Balboa.

IMHO, as a rabid fan of the series I rank this up there with the original. Rocky, now in his late 50s, finds himself a bit adrift in life several years after the death of his beloved Adrian. To fill a gap he applies for a boxing licence so he can do a few club fights, low level stuff to use up his time. Slimy promoters get a whiff of this and try to set up an exhibition fight between the reigning world champion, Mason "The line" Dixon, for lots of money. Initially Rocky isn't interested but as his anger grows at the injustices that life puts his way, he relents.

Of course, Rocky doesn't win, but he makes the champ work bloody hard for the victory. So much so that Rocky wins the respect of the champ himself, and the crowd lap it up. Rocky leaves the arena, finally having quelled the beast inside himself.

The human interest side is something Stallone always does well with Rocky, although this in'ts quite the best of the series in that regard - that plaudit must go to the next in the series, Creed, where Rocky had even me almost in tears when he is diagnosed with cancer but refuses treatment because all his loved ones have died and he feels he has nothing left to live for. Stallone was nominated for an Oscar for that and it's a crime that he didn't win.

Nevertheless, it's a close run thing as the rudderless and bereft Rocky and his best friend Paulie, the brilliant Burt Young, come to terms with their grief in different ways, the result being that for a couple of hours you feel like you're there and living it with a couple of old friends.

So it's good, but what really pushes this up to joint best is the fight scene. The fight was filmed at a real boxing match as a treat for the crowd before the real fight. The crowds are real. the announcers are real, the previous world champions at the ringside are real, Mike Tyson gobbing off an pointing his finger is real, and the atmosphere is absolutely electrifying. When Rocky walks into the arena the crowd go absolutely nuts and the effect is staggering. You just can't fake that.

The fight itself is brilliantly scripted and well choreographed, and beautifully tells a story all of it's own. Of course he doesn't win, but he makes the champ seriously squirm, and that is a victory all of it's own.

A fantastic film, and very, very worthy of a...

9/10.

Now, "let's start building some hurtin' bombs!"

Top Bottom