What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Brilliant Biograph: Earliest Moving Images of Europe (1897-1902).

"The Mutoscope and Biograph Collection is the oldest film collection held at Eye Filmmuseum. It includes over 200 films, most of which made in Europe between 1897 and 1902. These films were all photographed with the unique large-format 68mm Mutograph camera, which provided extraordinarily high-resolution images. These one-minute time capsules from 120 years ago still convey some of the richest and sharpest images that film can achieve. The films reflect the essence of early cinema: capturing the first-ever moving images of important events, famous locations and personalities, as well as spectacular moments such as dance and sports performances, or even natural phenomena like fire or storm, that only work when seen in motion." is what it says on the tin. And that's what it does. Can't be faulted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0s9-YrYs0E

I'm not a film student, but I find these REALLY REALLY early films very exciting.
(bit like the Peter Jackson film on the Great War. But in a different way, obviously. )

Drago

Legendary Member
The Guardian.

Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher in this largely by-the-numbers drama. The Army, Navy and Marines have all had their films, and now its the turn of the Coastguard to get a little glory. Or not, as the case may be.

Kevin Costner can barely be bothered, and while Kutcher tries very hard it comes across as too eager compared to the muted perfofmances of his co start. Iffy special effects, and a plot that loses its way about 60 minutes in nail the lid on the coffin for this one.

Its a shame, the idea holds so much promise, but the execution is half hearted at best.

4.4/10.

Adam4868

Guru
Watched Tenet last night,the new Nolan film..Its certainly a head feck ! Brilliantly shot and Nolan's usual messing with time.Id probally have to watch it again to go higher than 8/10.But all the same loved it.

PaulB

Legendary Member
This shouldn't count 'cos it wasn't last night because I've just watched it but the Guy Ritchie film, the Gentlemen.

It stars Matthew McConaughey, Colin Farrell and Hugh Grant with, amongst others, Eddie Marsan and is my favourite Ritchie movie so far. It's a hidden gem because I usually go for what we can find on Sky Movies but this one was on Amazon Prime - which I never ordinarily watch - and I found it and thought I'd give it a chance. It's a typical Ritchie and the usual back-forth, gangster-villain, good guy-bad guy goes on but Granty is on tippety top form keeping the film together in this, possibly his best, most meaty role to date.

To get to the point, I loved it.

This shouldn't count 'cos it wasn't last night because I've just watched it but the Guy Ritchie film, the Gentlemen.

It stars Matthew McConaughey, Colin Farrell and Hugh Grant with, amongst others, Eddie Marsan and is my favourite Ritchie movie so far. It's a hidden gem because I usually go for what we can find on Sky Movies but this one was on Amazon Prime - which I never ordinarily watch - and I found it and thought I'd give it a chance. It's a typical Ritchie and the usual back-forth, gangster-villain, good guy-bad guy goes on but Granty is on tippety top form keeping the film together in this, possibly his best, most meaty role to date.

To get to the point, I loved it.
I find this very unlikely with a Guy Ritchie film, but it has gotten good reviews (from the "right" people, IMHO).

Cracking cast, too; MM and HG have really found a 2nd wind in their careers.

Last edited:
John Wick 2: Mwaaaaa I Want My Teddy Back!

Our eponimous assassin is back and he is even angrier. They stole his car, they killed his dog, now the've gone and exploded his house.
Little Jonny is forced by the Code to kill a nice lady for a horrible man. Some nice tailors help Little Jonny to dress. The horrible man tries to kill Little Jonny. Then he meets some nice tramps who give him things. Then he tries to kill the horrible man and all the horrible people and even some nice people who work for the horrible man.
Little Jonny can shoot. Little Jonny can shoot lots of guns. I didn't get to the end because I fell asleep.

stephec

Legendary Member

Our eponimous assassin is back and he is even angrier. They stole his car, they killed his dog, now the've gone and exploded his house.
Little Jonny is forced by the Code to kill a nice lady for a horrible man. Some nice tailors help Little Jonny to dress. The horrible man tries to kill Little Jonny. Then he meets some nice tramps who give him things. Then he tries to kill the horrible man and all the horrible people and even some nice people who work for the horrible man.
Little Jonny can shoot. Little Jonny can shoot lots of guns. I didn't get to the end because I fell asleep.
Number three gets even worse.^_^

Drago

Legendary Member

Very poor weapons drills too.

Top Bottom