What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I think the Harrier scene was the most expensive scene ever when it came out.
It’s totally unrealistic escapist nonsense.
Whereas the rest of the film is almost documentary in its realism.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Defiance on DVD (I don't have TV or internet indoors) with Daniel Craig pre Bond possibly? A very good film about two brothers in WW2 saving Jews in the forests of Eastern Europe. Worth watching.

AndyRM

XOXO
Cruella.
Totally not what I'd expected when I first heard about it. 9/10

It's unusual in many ways; the two main characters are somewhat deranged brilliant females, with a supporting cast of numerous men putting in understated - and in some cases hilarious - performances. They are all key to the film's success.

It probably works best if - like me - you have a vague recollection of the story Cruella first appeared in, but don't expect this to be anything like that story!

Agreed. It's an absolute riot of a film and Emma Thompson is clearly having a whale of a time. The look and feel of everything is amazing.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Untouchables - despite uber boring Ness (much prefered the one from Boardwalk Empire) it is fun fun movie. Fatherly Sean Connery, over the top de Niro (I like baseball!), Geek with shotgun and setpieces (train station!) make it a near classic. Morricone's score is brutal as well.
4/5

Adam4868

Guru
Untouchables - despite uber boring Ness (much prefered the one from Boardwalk Empire) it is fun fun movie. Fatherly Sean Connery, over the top de Niro (I like baseball!), Geek with shotgun and setpieces (train station!) make it a near classic. Morricone's score is brutal as well.
4/5
Something about the last series of Fargo had a episode that reminded me of this film,the scene in the station.I don't particularly like Costner but he's tolerable in this.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Gentlemen.

Never thought Huge G Rant could act for toffee, but he pulls a blinder when finally asked to play something ofther than a posh foppish idiot. Matthew McConaughey is great too, but why the hell must he mumble through every film? Colin Farrell is another one who can't act but pulls it together well for this, and puts in a tidy job as a streetwise sports coach who gets reluctantly sucked into the underworld.

Funny moments (gang member pulls a machete, mobster then pulls an MP5SD is an excellent example of how to win paper-scissors-stone), violent moments, tense moments, reasonable plot, clever premise. Not as groundbreaking as Lock Stock was in its day, but you can only break new ground the once. This effort takes Guy Ritchies craft, gives it some polish and some big name actors, and the end result is halfway decent indeed.

8/10.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The Gentlemen.

Never thought Huge G Rant could act for toffee, but he pulls a blinder when finally asked to play something ofther than a posh foppish idiot. Matthew McConaughey is great too, but why the hell must he mumble through every film? Colin Farrell is another one who can't act but pulls it together well for this, and puts in a tidy job as a streetwise sports coach who gets reluctantly sucked into the underworld.

Funny moments (gang member pulls a machete, mobster then pulls an MP5SD is an excellent example of how to win paper-scissors-stone), violent moments, tense moments, reasonable plot, clever premise. Not as groundbreaking as Lock Stock was in its day, but you can only break new ground the once. This effort takes Guy Ritchies craft, gives it some polish and some big name actors, and the end result is halfway decent indeed.

8/10.
On my to watch list, thnx for review. Post Lock Stock Ritchie was a bit hit and miss, but really enjoyed Rock&rolla

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Untouchables - despite uber boring Ness (much prefered the one from Boardwalk Empire) it is fun fun movie. Fatherly Sean Connery...
4/5
Features one of my all time favourite scenes/lines, 'Fatherly' Sean Connery, on biffing a baddie: "Now, d'you suppose he feels better, or worse?"

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Gentlemen.

8/10.
I'll look out for this. Hugh Grant is a cracking actor. His Thorpe in A Very English Scandal was one of the absolute standout performances of tv drama of recent years. Absolutely nailed it in Paddington 2 too. :notworthy:

matticus

Guru
I'll look out for this. Hugh Grant is a cracking actor. His Thorpe in A Very English Scandal was one of the absolute standout performances of tv drama of recent years. Absolutely nailed it in Paddington 2 too. :notworthy:
Yup. He really made Gentlemen for me!
(I'd give it a strong 6/10 without him, but he justifies the Drago 8, just.)

Top Bottom