What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
That stuff annoys me a bit. I understand that they have to sometimes deviate from a book when they film it. Too much to cover, merge characters because there isn't time, simplify a complex story, and so on, but I much prefer accurate adaptations of novels. In 'Marple' ITV not only took non-Marple stories to film, but I think they actually changed the killer in at least one episode.

Some books like SH and Maigret are sparsely written little gems and you shouldn't mess with them if at all possible.

Half an hour into Blade Runner 2049, brilliant, but a long way to go!
I enjoyed both Blade Runner films. Both visually very striking in their different ways.

Again, PK Dick was a pretty spartan writer, more an ideas man than beautiful prose. I think the film adaptations of his books have managed very well to take fairly slight stories and build a believable extended world round them. I remember being blown away by seeing Total Recall at the cinema.

I didn't like the new Dune lol. Could have been so much more. Felt like a 2 hour trailer. Probably my biggest film disappointment that year.

stephec

Legendary Member
Probability Zero

The story of a downed RAF aircraft that's being examined in a secret lab in Norway to try and discover the secrets of the radar system on it, and the mission to destroy it before the nazis can get a proper look at it.

'Sounds quite good,' I hear you say, but this is an Italian film from 1969.

Ropey acting, ropey film work, ropey dialogue, it's got the lot. Fortunately it stays just the right side of the so bad it's good line, still not having more than 4/10 though. 😂

If I'm a good enough salesman then you can watch it on prime. 😂

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Probability Zero

The story of a downed RAF aircraft that's being examined in a secret lab in Norway to try and discover the secrets of the radar system on it, and the mission to destroy it before the nazis can get a proper look at it.

'Sounds quite good,' I hear you say, but this is an Italian film from 1969.

Ropey acting, ropey film work, ropey dialogue, it's got the lot. Fortunately it stays just the right side of the so bad it's good line, still not having more than 4/10 though. 😂

If I'm a good enough salesman then you can watch it on prime. 😂
Dubbed or subtitled ?

I'll watch any old rubbish in Italian, purely to help me in learning the language. :smile:

Master Cheng
Shanghai chef Master Cheng rolls up in small Finnish village.

Body count:0
Steamy sex scenes :0
Martial arts fight scenes:0
Gangster rivalries:0
On paper, this should have been a disaster but it was a quaint, enchanting, lovely little movie about food, love, family and communuty.

As I posted to Accy a week or so back... I just don't get it! :wacko:

He was watching films that bored him, so he entertained himself by coming on CycleChat while he was watching them.

You are watching a film that entertains you, so you making a mid-film appearance is even stranger.

Am I the only person on the forum who messes about on the computer, but then turns it off when it is time to watch TV? :whistle:

Do you mind?? I'm halfway through a classic Bergman on Classic B/W Movies Plus!! Please post-back during work hours, and I will try to respond.

This is worse than people who phone you during dinner...

mustang1

Legendary Member
Plane.

This is one of those movies where you have to take a step (or several) back from how a plane is flown in real life and the kind of checklists a real pilot would do and understand this is a movie where a few shortcuts were taken either because the director has no clue and couldn't be bothered to find out, or, the pilot has to have a certain dialogue to keep the audience mildly entertained.

So if you can overlook that stuff (I can, I watched Non-Stop and The Commuter) then you could find this film entertaining. For me, I just needed to get out and watch a movie that doesn't require too much thinking and to that end, this was exactly the kind of film I wanted/needed to watch.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Mad Max 3. Hadn't realised I've never seen all of it before. If you liked 1 and 2, it's very good.

That's by far my favourite of the whole franchise. Tina Turner dominates ever scene she's in by her sheer presence. Unusually for Mad Max, and maybe films generally, she's by no means the villain either. The final scenes with the tribe of kids brings a tear to my eye.

The first two are none too shabby either, and even the first one, despite it being more or less an exploitation movie with a low budget is a high quality and finely crafted film.

Disappointingly I didn't last half way with the new Tom Hardy one despite admiring his work generally

Top Bottom