What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Plane.

This is one of those movies where you have to take a step (or several) back from how a plane is flown in real life and the kind of checklists a real pilot would do and understand this is a movie where a few shortcuts were taken either because the director has no clue and couldn't be bothered to find out, or, the pilot has to have a certain dialogue to keep the audience mildly entertained.

So if you can overlook that stuff (I can, I watched Non-Stop and The Commuter) then you could find this film entertaining. For me, I just needed to get out and watch a movie that doesn't require too much thinking and to that end, this was exactly the kind of film I wanted/needed to watch.

Pilot checklist:
Fish dinner: check.
Seat 57 occupied: check
All snakes stowed insecurely: check
Swarthy foreigner clutching bag: check
Shelley Winters: check
Model aircraft engineer on board: check

Play Misty for Me
Classic Clint, great stuff.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
Empire of light at the Everyman in Barnet. First time I've been to the cinema except for taking the kids to movies for a l o n g time...
1. The cinema experience has changed a lot - couches, at your seat meal and drink service!
2. The new experience is quite expensive - c. £15 just to sit there
3. Absolutely brilliant movie with Colly leaving me awestruck as usual 😁

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
That's by far my favourite of the whole franchise. Tina Turner dominates ever scene she's in by her sheer presence. Unusually for Mad Max, and maybe films generally, she's by no means the villain either. The final scenes with the tribe of kids brings a tear to my eye.

The first two are none too shabby either, and even the first one, despite it being more or less an exploitation movie with a low budget is a high quality and finely crafted film.

Disappointingly I didn't last half way with the new Tom Hardy one despite admiring his work generally

Yeah fury road was an ok film in it's own right but lacked the real post-apocolyotic feel of 2&3

Nothing can be. It's pretty much the best sci fi film of all time I reckon.

Now wait a minute ....
220px-CatFromOuterSpace.jpg

The only film I've watched again at the cinema, in the same week.
(true story!)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Also a very good shout.

12 Monkeys too. And Fifth Element.

and Flash Gordon

Withnail and I

This is a film a lot of people seem to know various bits and pieces about, but I find not as many people have watched it. Its not as depressing as you might think, I quite like films set in 60/70s Britain as its seems not that long ago but its really over 50 years and a world apart from us today. Richard Griffiths is great in this and despite how good Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann are I don't think the film would have worked as well without him as Uncle Monty.

I didn't play the associated drinking game with it BTW!

King Arfur , Legend of the Sword.
A Guy Richie cockney geezer reinterpretation of the ancient legend set in the East End of Old Londinium Urbis. Arfur, son of Ufer is a pimp, gangster and bad boy but could never hurt a granny. Respek. Like an ancient Kray twin, he leads his people out of darkness and slavery at the hands of a posh speaking baddie Jude Law.

Lots of posh B listers get to flex their muscles and cockney accents, which are frightfully realistic.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Withnail and I

This is a film a lot of people seem to know various bits and pieces about, but I find not as many people have watched it. Its not as depressing as you might think, I quite like films set in 60/70s Britain as its seems not that long ago but its really over 50 years and a world apart from us today. Richard Griffiths is great in this and despite how good Richard E. Grant and Paul McGann are I don't think the film would have worked as well without him as Uncle Monty.

Withnail and I is a masterpiece. All three leads are superb: obviously Richard E Grant's outrageous Withnail, but it wouldn't work without McGann's quite "I" character, and as you say, Griffiths as Uncle Monty. Griffiths giving what could easily have been a comedy gay character some real poignance. The final scene is rather moving and sad with McGann moving on with his life having got a gig, but Withnail looking terrible declaiming he may "never play the Dane" and you know he's in a tragic downward spiral like his hero. The soundtrack is fantastic too - particularly the scene where they're in the bashed up Jag driving through a presumably to-be-demolished area with Jimmi Hendrix blaring out.

Must give it a re-watch

AndyRM

XOXO
Withnail and I

Not seen that in far too long. It's a brilliant film.

Top Bottom