What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Dog Day Afternoon.
Al Pacino is great in this as well as the brilliant John Cazale one of my favourite actors,sadly only did five films before he passed away,but still left a massive impact.
Forgot how much I liked this film and worth a rewatch or watch if your lucky enough to have not seen it.

the brilliant John Cazale one of my favourite actors

mine too.

Adam4868

Guru
John Cazale was wonderful. Not many actors can portray weak characters so well. Fredo was heartbreaking.
Has any other actor left such a legacy after only five films...everyone of them a masterpiece.
I remember the story about the Deer Hunter and how the film company wouldn't insure him and was going to fire him. The director, DeNiro, Streep threatened to walk. DeNiro paid the insurance so Cazale could have one more role.

The Long Good Friday

Bob Hoskins powers his way through a bemused gangster unable to comprehend the threats against him. Helen Mirren is awesome as his moll, loyal to the end. The beginnings of the film are ambiguous, it's not made clear until the end what is happening but that is part of the charm.

Ps It has Pierce Brosnan in it, no gadgets but he does hold a gun well!

PPs Derek Thompson of 'Charlie' fame from casualty has a big role in it. This really confused me as for the whole film I thought it was actually Jason Flemming🤔

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Long Good Friday

Bob Hoskins powers his way through a bemused gangster unable to comprehend the threats against him. Helen Mirren is awesome as his moll, loyal to the end. The beginnings of the film are ambiguous, it's not made clear until the end what is happening but that is part of the charm.

PPs Derek Thompson of 'Charlie' fame from casualty has a big role in it. This really confused me as for the whole film I thought it was actually Jason Flemming🤔
I was watching The Gentlemen recently with friends. When we got to the finale I recognised what was happening and told them what would happen next. A clear homage to the LGF ending...

I was watching The Gentlemen recently with friends. When we got to the finale I recognised what was happening and told them what would happen next. A clear homage to the LGF ending...

I'll have to re watch The Gentleman later, I did enjoy it first time around but didn't connect any dots.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Saw Plane earlier in the week. As Mustang says, if you can overlook some plot holes it's an enjoyable mid budget actioner. Bit too much wobbly camera at times but worth a look when it comes round on the telly.

Tonight we've seen Unwelcome at the cinema. What can I say? The trailer looked great. Young couple face spooky goings on when they move to rural Ireland. But after a nasty but normal-ish first hour it turns into one of those 80's Gremlin knock off films like Elves, Critters, or Troll. They didn't have the budget for decent effects so it gets sillier and sillier. My companions were laughing out loud. I would give it a miss tbh.

The Long Good Friday

I remember taking a Sunday to explore docklands before all the developers moved in.
I met Bob Hoskins a couple of times. He was a keen photographer and I was working at a camera shop. He was a little powerhouse who exuded a sense of potential menace and violence by just standing there.

gbb

Legendary Member
Iceman....on Netflix.
Excellent, really enjoyed it.
1970s, 1980s era mobsters, an unassuming man but with a physical presence, Polish descent becomes a heartless, ruthless emotionless killer with only one thing guaranteed to stir his emotions....his family.
Really enjoyed that one, quite brutal and bloody at times.

Top Bottom