What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Devil's Double
Not another Van Damme vehicle. This is about Uday Hussein, the crazy one in the Saddam Hussein family, and his unfortunate body double. Both parts played by Dominic Cooper ( the simping fiancé in Mamma Mia).
Very watchable, violent at times but Uday loved his mum.

The Devil's Double
Not another Van Damme vehicle. This is about Uday Hussein, the crazy one in the Saddam Hussein family, and his unfortunate body double. Both parts played by Dominic Cooper ( the simping fiancé in Mamma Mia).
Very watchable, violent at times but Uday loved his mum.

Cooper is also in Gold (reviewed here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-tv-are-you-watching.196255/post-6920131)! Rather different character ...

So I watched about 10mins of this. Basically the bit where he is interviewed/threatened for the job .. are you saying that was ONLY Cooper acting "with himself" so-to-speak in those scenes? Like Jeremy Irons in Dead Ringers??

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The Father.
Blimey it’s a roller coaster of emotions and a serious subject, about dementia, but so well done.
The constant subtle scenery changes are disconcerting but so clever and provide the viewer with a feeling of general unease.
Oscar winning performance by Hopkins.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The Father.
Blimey it’s a roller coaster of emotions and a serious subject, about dementia, but so well done.
The constant subtle scenery changes are disconcerting but so clever and provide the viewer with a feeling of general unease.

I thought it was excellent. I was getting confused myself until I realised I was seeing what he was. Brilliantly done, and a little help to see what poor sufferers and their families are going through.

The Father.

Thanks for that. It sounds excellent (Hopkins would be perfect); but I confess I struggle to watch such things; have to be in the right mood, ready for an emotional battering, if that makes sense.

AndyRM

XOXO
A couple this evening:

Plane - 6/10

By the numbers action film, but helped massively by Gerrard Butler doing Gerrard Butler things. Some cool action shots, but it's nothing new in the "Oh dear, things are going wrong, but the day will inevitably (if implausibly), be saved". Brain popcorn territory.

Swallowed - 8/10

Excellent slice of queer body horror. Short, sharp, creepy, well acted. Very much my kind of thing.

The Negotiator.
Without Samuel L Jackson
Plot-heavy CIA/Beruit civil war thriller in which former State Dept golden boy, now alcoholic industrial dispute negotiator is called back for one last mission. If you liked Spy Game you will appreciate how our man creates somethings out of nothings.

AndyRM

XOXO
Megan - 8/10

A very, very spooky sci-fi horror affair. Drags a bit in some places, but overall is very well made and an effective take on much of our obsession with social media, and how communication is done these days.

Proto

Legendary Member
Hive

The story follows the efforts of a Kosovan woman to to look after her family following the disappearance of her husband years before in the Kosovan war. Beautifully filmed and fabulous performances from all the cast. Great film, highly recommended. 10/10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hive_(film)

stephec

Legendary Member
Death Race 2000

It must be nearly forty years since I last saw this and it's not aged very well, don't think I'll be watching it again. 😂

The Frogmen
Antics of US Navy Underwater Demolition Team during WW2 Pacific island hopping campaign. Richard Widmark provides the Hollywood star the US Navy provide all the kit. One of the first of the underwater action movies and plenty drama above the waves.

AndyRM

XOXO
Get Out - 8/10

Psychological horror about possession, racism, and all sorts of twisted themes. Very, very good, and kept me guessing for a while, which is always good. Had an inkling of what was going on, but nowhere near the scale of what ended up happening!

Top Bottom