What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
If it's not the "proper" version (and I suspect it probably isn't if it's on Prime) then there isn't much point - it's had all the nudity cut out of it.

There used to be a really great slot on Channel 4, late on a Friday night, where they'd have a double feature, usually horror and exploitation films, and a couple of film nerds would have a chat about them in between. Saw a lot of under-appreciated classics that way.

My favourite was when they ran "I am a Nymphomaniac" followed by "I am Frigid... why?" and rambled on about how stupid the second title was because despite being even more explicit, people were put off by the title.

Was that when C4 first started in the eighties?

They used to show films and put a red warning triangle in the corner of the screen, publicised very well so you knew that something might be worth watching. 😂

GetFatty

Über Member
Early 2000s C4 ran a themed slot called 4Later, that might be what your thinking of. As well as films they had a really good film review show called Vidz, I found loads of good films through that.

Are you thinking of Moviedrome on BBC2?

AndyRM

XOXO
Early 2000s C4 ran a themed slot called 4Later, that might be what your thinking of. As well as films they had a really good film review show called Vidz, I found loads of good films through that.

Possibly, but early 2000s wouldn't have been right, I was out of the country. It'd have been late 90s. Either way, I loved it.

AndyRM

XOXO
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire - 6.5/10

A lot of fun if you like the Ghostbusters films and accept that they're very silly and not meant to be taken seriously. I really enjoyed the blend of nostalgia and the update, though I think maybe they did rely on the old cast a little much towards the end. I read one particularly po-faced review afterwards saying something along the lines of "Bill Murray looked like his mind was elsewhere", which describes pretty much every Bill Murray film ever.

The ice monster thing, though CGI, was very much my style (pointy, skeletal, powerful but fragile), Burton-esque in a way so I enjoyed that, and the queer-romance-betrayal storyline was sweet.

Possibly not winning over any new audiences if the four kids who this was aimed at leaving after an hour is anything to go by, but it hit the mark for me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

A lot of fun if you like the Ghostbusters films and accept that they're very silly and not meant to be taken seriously. I really enjoyed the blend of nostalgia and the update, though I think maybe they did rely on the old cast a little much towards the end. I read one particularly po-faced review afterwards saying something along the lines of "Bill Murray looked like his mind was elsewhere", which describes pretty much every Bill Murray film ever.

The ice monster thing, though CGI, was very much my style (pointy, skeletal, powerful but fragile), Burton-esque in a way so I enjoyed that, and the queer-romance-betrayal storyline was sweet.

Possibly not winning over any new audiences if the four kids who this was aimed at leaving after an hour is anything to go by, but it hit the mark for me.

Agreed. It was far better then some of the reviews I read. Jnr thoroughly enjoyed it.

Slick

Guru

This is definitely on my list, I always loved that movie especially the original.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Unthinkable: 7/10. Samuel L Jackson tries to get a religious extremist to tell them where he's planted 3 bombs around the city. Very good, but the ending I found poor

Drago

Legendary Member
Something with Rutger Hauer. Blind Drunk? Blind Spot? Something like that.

I wish I had been drunk. Dreadful straight to video rubbish of the sort lapped up in the 80s. Should be straight to the bin.

0.00000000300001002/10.

Top Bottom