What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Good but not as good as the first one

Jojo Rabbit. The most intriguing cast list I have seen in a long time, Sam Rockwell, Scarlett Johansson, Rebel Wilson, Stephen Merchant, Alfie Allen and the director, a Maori Jew playing Hitler. I enjoyed it, a very humorous lesson in how easily people are manipulated by such simple devices as conspiracy theories.
Several film critics have labelled the film a retread of "The Producers", the two films have but one thing in common, nazis, a comedy Hitler and swastikas, it is a lame comparison.
Elsa; “You’re not a Nazi.” Jojo; “I’m massively into swastikas.”

Stephen Merchant admiring a 10 year old boys Hitler poster.

AndyRM

XOXO
I watched Parasite the other night,korean film and definately worth a watch.Id give it 9/10.Thats a high mark for me,I actually want to watch it again.
Theres been some great Korean films out in recent years,especially since the Oldboy trilogy.

I saw it at our local indie cinema last Monday, with the added bonus of a live interview screened with the director after, which was very cool. Like you, I thought it was excellent and I agree there's a lot of brilliant Korean cinema, well, Asian in general really but I think a fair few folk are put off by subtitles, which is fair enough but they're the ones missing out!

I've read reviews saying it could be cut shorter, but I disagree. Personally I think there's a style in Asian horror where you're sort of given space to wander around your thoughts as you watch, which helps things build. I could be totally wrong about this of course, and I have taken a lot of psychotropic drugs over the years...

Adam4868

Guru
I saw it at our local indie cinema last Monday, with the added bonus of a live interview screened with the director after, which was very cool. Like you, I thought it was excellent and I agree there's a lot of brilliant Korean cinema, well, Asian in general really but I think a fair few folk are put off by subtitles, which is fair enough but they're the ones missing out!

I've read reviews saying it could be cut shorter, but I disagree. Personally I think there's a style in Asian horror where you're sort of given space to wander around your thoughts as you watch, which helps things build. I could be totally wrong about this of course, and I have taken a lot of psychotropic drugs over the years...
Lol I remember giving a mate a copy of Oldboy and him saying "I can't watch it,it's got subtitles !" I actually watch most things with subtitles on anyway,doesn't really bother me.
I'm not mad into horror as such,but I agree there's been some great Asian/Korean films out recently.I managed to watch the train to Busan on sat night tv and zombies really aren't my thing !
Have you seen the Lighthouse yet ?

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
Lol I remember giving a mate a copy of Oldboy and him saying "I can't watch it,it's got subtitles !" I actually watch most things with subtitles on anyway,doesn't really bother me.
I'm not mad into horror as such,but I agree there's been some great Asian/Korean films out recently.I managed to watch the train to Busan on sat night tv and zombies really aren't my thing !
Have you seen the Lighthouse yet ?

He could always watch the (pointless) Spike Lee remake...

Takashi Miike has a new film out this week, First Love. I have heard good things.

I've not seen Lighthouse, but it looks incredible, which you'd expect from the dude who made Witch. Apparently the best way to see it is with subtitles so you can hear what they're on about.

Adam4868

Guru
He could always watch the (pointless) Spike Lee remake...

Takashi Miike has a new film out this week, First Love. I have heard good things.

I've not seen Lighthouse, but it looks incredible, which you'd expect from the dude who made Witch. Apparently the best way to see it is with subtitles so you can hear what they're on about.
Sign of the times or age catching up...subtitles over pyscotropic drugs ! Yea it's a good film I think.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wind River - a film 'based on real events' about the rape & murder of a Native American woman and the FBI agent/local hunter tag team who join up to try to get to the bottom of it. Very well done, and pretty gut-wrenching throughout, and closing on the sobering fact that many many Native American young women go missing without trace every year, but no-one actually knows how many, since they are the only demographic group in the US for whom no records are kept. Good script, great acting, and manages to be moving without ever getting preachy.

Adam4868

Guru
You say that like the drugs aren't still a thing :okay:
I'm more a red wine and paracetamol sort nowadays 😁

gbb

Legendary Member
Mute, courtesy of Netflix.
I dont really know where to start. Mute from an accident as a child, grown I to a a kind, quiet, yet unafraid to face trouble adult ,out of place in a mixed up hedonistic and frequently cruel dystopian world, his fight to find his disappeared love despite her own hedonistic leanings. Frequently violent, threatening, dark, touched on some very uncomfortable subjects, a violent end to those that would do him harm. Made me cover my eyes at one point...jeez.
Mixed reviews for a mixed up plot etc but I was hooked for better or worse.

Ashimoto

Hollywood or Bust. Martin and Lewis. My all time favourite film. First saw it in 1986, 30 years after it first came out and loved it ever since

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Free State of Jones - through & post American civil war, a renegade unites a ragtag assembly of escaped, later freed slaves, Union deserters and general rebel rebels to create a new 'state' in the deep south, in the face of what you'd expect of the deep south. Well done, well acted, and well meant, but in truth a bit slow and predictable - much like the real life on which it is apparently based. Certainly not bad, but a bit too formulaic to be a standout. 7/10? Something like that.

Top Bottom