What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Coming2America

If you liked the first one you'll like this, it starts off as a sequel but has enough parallels to the first one that it veers towards a remake.

For me the first one went straight into my top ten films and has been there ever since, it's not quite as good as the first film but still well worth a watch.

7/10.

stephec

Legendary Member
When Heroes Die (1970)

A proper ropey Italian war film about a kidnap plot involving an American fake Rommel impersonator, it just falls this side of the line in the so bad that it's good category. To be fair I'm not sure if the bad acting really is as bad as it looks, or if the dubbing just makes it worse, an operatic soundtrack ramps up the comedy as well, if you see it one one of the cable film channels then give it a go, it's a good giggle. 😀

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't think I put this in but last week we had three grandkids sleep over (not the infected ones :okay:)...they insisted we watched Holes. I'd never even heard of it, I slightly reluctantly agreed.....soon changed my mind, brilliant family film.
Prime I think....

AndyRM

XOXO
Black Friday - 7/10

If it's got Bruce Campbell in it you know what you're in for, campy, over-the top and stupid but overall a good time. For a B movie, the creature effects are excellent and while it won't win any 'Best Actor' awards I can think of worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't think I put this in but last week we had three grandkids sleep over (not the infected ones :okay:)...they insisted we watched Holes. I'd never even heard of it, I slightly reluctantly agreed.....soon changed my mind, brilliant family film.
Prime I think....
is that the Disney film from 2003?
sub-buzz-1335-1574287538-1.jpg

Reactions: gbb

AndyRM

XOXO
Wadjda.

It's a story of a young girl in Saudi Arabia who wants to buy a bike but is discouraged from doing so. English subtitles.

First film shot entirely in Saudi Arabia, and the director,
Haifaa al-Mansour is the first female Saudi director. In a country where cinema all but doesn't exist, that's pretty impressive.

AndyRM

XOXO
No Rest for the Wicked - 8/10

Spanish police based thriller about a disgraced cop who goes rogue to track down a cell of terrorists in Madrid. Some of the subtitles were a bit dodgy, but I still know enough Spanish that I got by.

Edgy, well paced, a bit of an anti-hero in the lead role, but you're still rooting for him. I haven't seen much Spanish cinema, but this is up there with some of my favourites.

AndyRM

XOXO
Boiling Point - 9/10

A 90 minute single take film (a proper one, unlike 1917) of the busiest night in a restaurant, Black Friday. Stephen Graham is superb as the troubled head chef, Andy, but there are no weak links in a really strong cast. There was one glaringly obvious thing that was going to happen, but it didn't spoil a really well crafted, tight film.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Rita, Sue and Bob too. Absolutely of its time - would anyone today dare make a film about, to quote IMDB, 'working-class Yorkshire life, alternately serious and light-hearted, as two schoolgirls have a sexual fling with a married man'? But it's a triumph, full of energy and humour and a sheer gutsy relish for life, set in a spot on portrayal of life in post-Thatcher Britain. Written by a young woman, apparently - one of those semi-autobiographical jobbies - who sadly died only a couple of years after it came out. Absolutely rings true. Funnily enough I remember the name from when it came out, but I'd never actually seen it. Well, I'm glad I have now!

Eziemnaik

Über Member
No Rest for the Wicked - 8/10

Spanish police based thriller about a disgraced cop who goes rogue to track down a cell of terrorists in Madrid. Some of the subtitles were a bit dodgy, but I still know enough Spanish that I got by.

Edgy, well paced, a bit of an anti-hero in the lead role, but you're still rooting for him. I haven't seen much Spanish cinema, but this is up there with some of my favourites.
Do watch May God Save Us and The Fury of a Patient Man. Just as good as No rest and Isla Minima...and better than 97.36% of recent Hollywood crap

midlife

Guru
Rita, Sue and Bob too. Absolutely of its time - would anyone today dare make a film about, to quote IMDB, 'working-class Yorkshire life, alternately serious and light-hearted, as two schoolgirls have a sexual fling with a married man'? But it's a triumph, full of energy and humour and a sheer gutsy relish for life, set in a spot on portrayal of life in post-Thatcher Britain. Written by a young woman, apparently - one of those semi-autobiographical jobbies - who sadly died only a couple of years after it came out. Absolutely rings true. Funnily enough I remember the name from when it came out, but I'd never actually seen it. Well, I'm glad I have now!

Blimey that brought back some memories ! Rover car and a song by Black Lace.....

AndyRM

XOXO
Villain - 8/10

From the same director as Boiling Point, not as good or as cleverly done, but still a cut above your generic "Swaggering Cockney" gangster fare.

Brings nothing new to the table, but it's well put together and doesn't let up pace wise. Saw the ending coming a mile away, but the film was enjoyable enough that it didn't put me off.

Top Bottom