What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Made into a movie called The Outpost
Not bad either. Not your run of the mill yeee haw.
Interesting, I didn't know that.

Just went to look it up on IMDB, and well I never...

1638194252046.png

Yes folks, it's circle-the-wagons time - a new venue for the traditional cowboys & indians, now that the indians have gone and turned into Native Americans. I suppose you could see Restrepo as 'A small team of U.S. soldiers battle against hundreds of Taliban fighters'. It's not untrue. Per se like. But it sure is a Hollywood take on what went on in that valley.

It's probably pretty good. The Americans do these things well. But the reality, that's different. That's true. Proper true. Real life, and it's up to you what you take from it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Interesting, I didn't know that.

Just went to look it up on IMDB, and well I never...

View attachment 619935

Yes folks, it's circle-the-wagons time - a new venue for the traditional cowboys & indians, now that the indians have gone and turned into Native Americans. I suppose you could see Restrepo as 'A small team of U.S. soldiers battle against hundreds of Taliban fighters'. It's not untrue. Per se like. But it sure is a Hollywood take on what went on in that valley.

It's probably pretty good. The Americans do these things well. But the reality, that's different. That's true. Proper true. Real life, and it's up to you what you take from it.
There's also a follow up doc to Restrepo, called Battle Company - Korengal

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Ad Astra - Brad Pitt has daddy issues in this wannabe 2001/Interstellar. Looks good, I like the idea, but absolutely didn't care for characters. Pitt and TL Jones fall flat in delivering believable father/son dynamics and everything feels forced. I liked the (mahbe indirect) reference to 2001 - we are not much more advanced than monkeys. If you are fiend for hard sci-fi you may give it a go. 3/5 (2/5 if you don't care about the genre)

Adam4868

Guru
The Power of the Dog with Benedict Cumberbatch.Sort of Brokeback mountain with cowboys.Slow but nicely shot.Enjoyed it...8 out of 10 seems fair.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Power of the Dog with Benedict Cumberbatch.Sort of Brokeback mountain with cowboys.Slow but nicely shot.Enjoyed it...8 out of 10 seems fair.
Slow? Glacial, I'd say. All very broody and atmospheric and, TBH, a bit dull, for my money. Cumberbum's dodgy accent didn't help. It was ok, and the scenery was stunning, but that's about as enthused as I can get. Very 'modern'.

By stark contrast I also re-watched Elmer Gantry - nothing modern about it, with Burt Lancaster as a hellfire preacher in the days of the great Revivalist movements in backwoods America. Great plot, excellent acting and direction, terrific dialogue. A really excellent 'story', with a beginning, middle and end and everything. Packed with terrific one-liners, from a fallen woman's "How is it some people can only find hate in the Bible?" to a little exchange towards the end, between 'man of God' Gantry and the liberal journalist who's been something like an alter-ego throughout:

You really believe in the Lord don't you?
You're damn right I do! It does a man good to get down on his knees once in a while.

Great stuff. Now that's what I call a solid 8/10!

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
The Last Alleycat.
An indie movie and, uhm, there's a reason why it will remain "indie". It was truly awful BUT I still liked it and I cannot figure out why... perhaps because it just has bikes in it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I Start Counting (1969)...

One of those hidden gems from the BFI; Jenny Agutter stars as the besotted schoolgirl who suspects her foster brother is a serial killer. Very much of its time but gripping enough from start to finish.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The Hitman's Bodyguard. Utterly preposterous and terrific fun. Like movie junk food: no nutrition, but it sure am tasty.

stephec

Legendary Member
Going off Big Time.

The description on Prime is a little bit more than an exaggeration, and I don't know what kind of backhanders those critics received but it must have been a fair amount

Still, it was entertaining enough.

5/10.

Top Bottom