What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is that the caving zombies one? Utter shyte. OK speaking as a caver I'm going to find fault, but it lost me from the bit where they all abseil into thr cave on a separate rope. WTF would anyone do that? It didn't improve later either
Fair point. Don't they teach actors to use carabiners correctly any more??

p.s. they weren't zombies. I found your review very hard reading after this basic factual error.

Adam4868

Guru
In the Earth by Ben Wheatley....love his stuff but I'm quite aware he's a real marmite director.If you liked A Field in England you'll probally enjoy this....well maybe 'enjoy' is a bit of a stretch.
Pretty wild,folk horror.A good Xmas movie to watch with your kids 😁

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Don't Look Up....absolutely loved it ! Powerful message underneath this film.Watch it if you've got Netflix.Brilliant and horrific at the same time.
Great cast I'd give it 9/10 which is some high praise from me 😁
Funny world. It often seems to me #Adam4868 and I have very similar movie tastes and now and then something like Don't Look Up pops out.
It was badly written, miscast (especially Streeps and di Caprio), boring and as subtle as propaganda in Pravda. One good gag with a greedy officer doesn't make it a comedy. Dr Strangelove wasn't subtle either but it was funny - as satire should be.
I really enjoyed The Big Short - Don't Look Up is not a patch on it. 2/5

Adam4868

Guru
Funny world. It often seems to me #Adam4868 and I have very similar movie tastes and now and then something like Don't Look Up pops out.
It was badly written, miscast (especially Streeps and di Caprio), boring and as subtle as propaganda in Pravda. One good gag with a greedy officer doesn't make it a comedy. Dr Strangelove wasn't subtle either but it was funny - as satire should be.
I really enjoyed The Big Short - Don't Look Up is not a patch on it. 2/5
Dr Strangelove is a masterpiece of it's time.This was more Dr Strangelove meets Airplane ! Saying that this was a perfect Christmas day movie for me and daughter.Im probally biased about Di caprio as I think he's brilliant...in most things he does 😁
But I liked the message,I liked how it made me laugh at the absurdity of the times we live in.
P.S my algorithm told me I would like it 🙄
(The big short is a great movie !)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Don't Look Up....absolutely loved it ! Powerful message underneath this film.Watch it if you've got Netflix.Brilliant and horrific at the same time.
Great cast I'd give it 9/10 which is some high praise from me 😁

We've just watched it - 100% agree. An outstanding film and a message for our times. Darkly satirical, funny, superb and subtle writing and a terrific cast all on top form. It had me hooked from the opening scene where they are setting up the telescope and accidentally spot the comet - gloves and jumpers 'cause it's cold, Jennifer L singing along with her ipod, realistic numbers on the telescope control screen "right ascension" etc, then the consecutive images and J's gasp as she sees it's a comet, and then later, the blackboard scene where they are calculating the orbit. ... then it got better and better. And darker and more bitingly satirical, yet chillingly plausible

Proto

Legendary Member
After much deliberation a decision was made by the family to watch The French Despatch, the recently released film by Wes Anderson. His usual stellar cast - Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Benicio Del Toro, and Tilda Swinton amongst them. What could possibly go wrong?

To be honest, I had my concerns but was outvoted. Paid the £12 to Netflix and started the film. Wes Anderson films are quirky, to say the least, but sadly my concerns were correct, it's a terrible film. Just disjointed rambling, going nowhere. Awful.

The seven of us watching dwindled in numbers and after 45 minutes someone was brave enough to ask if anyone was enjoying it. The answer from few still watching was a resounding 'no', so we switched it off. A little bit peeved that it cost £12 on Netflix. Money wasted.

Proto

Legendary Member
Hand of God - semi autobiographical picture from Sorentino. Set in the halycon days in 80's Naples, it follows an awkward teen Fabietto, who gets crazy about Maradona's arrivial, lusts after his aunt and doesn't know what he wants to do in life. The movie is very much split into two parts with the first full of vignettes about Fabietto's hilarious family, and the second more introspective. Filippo Scotti (who bears more than a passing resemblance to Timothy Chamalet) is great as introverted Fabietto, but the show is stolen by his loving parents.
At heart it is a love letter to a place that made Sorentino, city full of histories like the one of a smuggler who meets his father in jail.
4/5 (if you like Sorentino make it 5, if you cant stand his movies 3/5)

View: https://youtu.be/i_1VW_0i6vo

It gets a 5 from me. Loved it.

I watched his The Great Beauty recently, too. Fabulous. As soon as this Covid mess is put to bed I'm off to Italy, and I may not come back.

Last edited:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Mr Curtis, Mr Lemmon and Miss Munroe in Some Like it Hot (Iplayer).

A high body count but hardly surprising if the entire big band choose to occupy the top bunk...

10/10

Top Bottom